.357 Magnum

story

Kraig,

I have read your stuff and looked at your photos for several years now, but................

the bison story tops them all!!!!!!!

I have killed a mule deer with a 357 magnum. The shot hit the heart and 1 lung then stopped on a rib on the other side, the round was a 180 grain cast lead bullet from buffalo bore. The deer dropped when hit but got back up and ran 30 feet then dropped again.

as my name implys I love the 357 caliber. I have taken several deer a 357 maximum Dan Wesson revolver.

I recomend using heavier bullets 158+ grain but that is just my recommendation.

Buzzcook: the only caliber requirements here are for buffalo. 41 Mag minimum.

CCCLVII: I do plan on using big hardcast bullets.

I ran across some ammo the other day that intrigued me. It had a 140 gr. FMJ truncated cone bullet. It's supposed to be for practice but its velocity is listed as well over 1400 fps. That load seems like it would penetrate well. Have any of you used anything like this?

I dont think that would be an ideal hunting bullet. You want a wider meplat to transfer more energy. A combination of penetration and energy transfer is ideal.

Wide flat nosed gas checked is what you're looking for in cast.

Hornady XTP's in 158 and 180 are good jacketed hunting bullets.

Speer made a half jacket hollow point and soft point that were excellent hunting bullets. They're hard to find now.

The BEST factory 357 hunting load Ive used is the .357 Corbon load linked above. It worked very well out of a 6.5" Blackhawk on deer and pigs.

Is a heavier bullet necessarily better? I have been told that a heavier bullet will have more penetration. A lighter bullet driven faster seems to have more foot-pounds of energy. I think I want to use 180 grain bullets but if either 158 or 180 grain bullets will go through a deer, what is the point?

Heaveir bullets should penetrate more. They usually have heavier construction than lighter bullets of the same caliber. I think you would be fine with a good 158 grain bullet and up. Ive used the Cor Bons so I know from experience they will work on deer and pigs. Ive used 180 grain XTP's out of my 357 Maximum and they worked well, but they are going a bit faster than the regular magnum.

bigger bullets are better penetrators at relatively close range (under 200yds).

all else being equal, ha.............

I think that 357 mag would be fine on deer at about 75 yards or less with the bullets mentioned in a heavy revolver with at least a 6 inch barrel.

I like rugers...........:D with a nice sight system, no scope......

whoa on that buff!................thumbs up

357 MAG vs elk and the animal lost!

Distance same as modern compound bow range: 50 feet for 1st bullet and about 65 feet for 2nd bullet. Plenty of damage to vitals.

TR

357MAGelk-1.jpg

Back