.357 Magnum VS .44 Special for Rocky Mountains trail gun

Since both rounds amount to a mere pin prick on a grizzly bear...

... I will choose the one that penetrates the deepest, and that is the .357/180gr hands down. This load will out penetrate the .44mag/240gr; the .44 SPL isn't even in the running. No pistol wound channel diameter will matter on these big bruins; you must perforate or break something vital with the bullet itself. "Shocking power" is non-existent in this scenario.

If I were worried about 2-legged critters with the odd black bear thrown in, then sure I'd go .44 SPL.

I know this thread is a bit aged, but it seemed a realistic word on penetration was in order.

July 15, 2012, 12:47 PM #21
samsmix

Since both rounds amount to a mere pin prick on a grizzly bear...
... I will choose the one that penetrates the deepest, and that is the .357/180gr hands down. This load will out penetrate the .44mag/240gr; the .44 SPL isn't even in the running. No pistol wound channel diameter will matter on these big bruins; you must perforate or break something vital with the bullet itself. "Shocking power" is non-existent in this scenario.

If I were worried about 2-legged critters with the odd black bear thrown in, then sure I'd go .44 SPL.

I know this thread is a bit aged, but it seemed a realistic word on penetration was in order.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?

+1, I agree the .44 special isn't a bear gun. Living in Idaho, my BUG is a .357 and my woods gun is the .44 magnum. MT and ID has the griz. Gotta go with something that can penetrate at least even if not in the same class as appropriate rifle. Much better than a stick.

I live in the mountain west. Normally all I carry unless I'm hunting is my 642 in my pocket. Never felt underguned.

But that wasn't the option. Based on your choice, I have both, a Model 29 and a Model 28 (also have a Model 27).

Of the three I'd take my old service revolver, my Model 28 w/150 grn SWCs and 14.5 grns of 2400.

Killed deer, moose and buffalo with that thing. I've shot it enough to be comfortable with it. It's heavy and wont fit in my pocket so that's why I carry the 642 with the same bullet loaded to standard 38 velocities.

"bigger is always better"

Correct. I'll take the BIGGER (meaning deeper) would channel, and leave the anemic man-killer on the night stand where it belongs. Don't get me wrong: I have LOTS of love for the .44 Spl. It just isn't a tool for this job anymore than the .38 spl, and for the same reasons.

I was about to say the 357/180 until you revealed that you handload. This clearly makes the 44 Special the better option. Some of these answers are from people who only read about ballistics. ;)

Handloading...YES !!

Yes, I do handload them. And, the .44 Special can be a little more than normal with that.

A 240 grain cast SWC and 7.5 grains of Unique at 900+FPS can't be too much of a slouch.

Last edited:
The Special is Special

Got a Ruger Bisley in 44SPL and it is a pleasure. Have loaded 240Rem SP to 1200fps and the cases fall out. I also concur with SS. Skeeter's load of 7.5gr. of Unique is great. My favorite is 8gr.

Last edited:
Southern Shooter:

I would take the .44 Spl loaded with a good 240 grain hand load or a hunting load from one of the custom ammunition makers. A large bullet delivers its energy deep.

Semmper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC retired

I am swayed a little by the handloading angle.....hmmm... Still think you'll punch deeper with the .357 though. A round of testing perhaps?

Back