.357 magnum versus .41 magnum

Pampers & other .41 mag owners, I'm currently looking for a S & W 657 Mountain Gun (4" barrel) for my upcoming 3 week camping/backpacking trip in July. Own a 686P .357, but I want that .41 Mag. Please keep an eye out for me. I've been told that the Mountain Gun was a limited edition. The only .41 Mag S & W now carry are 6" & 7 1/2" barrels.

Please don't suggest Taurus Trackers, have tried their products, ok for the range, not willing to BET MY LIFE on them.

Thanks.

Freedom Arms has come out with a serious revolver in .41 mag. The only problem is that they cost upwards to $1600 new and $1100 used. I've never shot one but heard only spectactular reports about this company and their firearms. They are on the web (can't find the address). If you are on a budget, I can't say enough about the S&W Model 57 or 58.

Thanks for the info 41, but I found exactly what I was looking for. Filling out the paperwork today for a S & W 657 Mountain Gun.

Since we're so far off-topic in discussing .41 vs .44, I'll just add that my purely academic study of the topic showed that somewhere downrange, the slightly skinnier .41 bullet winds up having more retained energy than .44 Mags.

Because I had a slight interest in shooting IHMSA matches some time in the future and also harbored dreams of taking deer, I became intrigued with someday buying a .41 Mag. Almost picked up a Ruger Blackhawk, but someday still hasn't come.

The only reasons I see to prefer .357 over .41 Mag are ammo-related. One, more choices in factory loadings, as well-said above. Not a factor for me as I reload almost all of my ammo. Second, if there's a shortage, there are still one or two (?) law enforcement agencies using the .357, so I'd expect the supply of ammo and components to last longer than the .41 stuff would. Not planning any extended firefights in a "survival situation," that's not a factor for me either.

Use the one you like!

That's why I own both. A .357 Mag 686P w/ 4" barrel, and now a .41 Mag 657 Mountain Gun. Pictures will be posted down the line.

In revolver -- 357. But in a .410" caliber I prefer the 41AE, loaded with a 41AE-specific 180g Gold Dot at 1030fps (this is my ammo). If this bullet were available for the 41 Mag, I'd load it to this velocity range and tell you it was as good as the 357 / 125g JHP.

Where does the 45LC fit in?

Is it better or worse than .357 mag / .41 mag / .44 mag / .454 / .50 AE / ??? for hunting purposes?

Forty-five long Colt for defense. Sure it would make a fine choice, but you would run into the same problems that you would 41 Magnum. The availability of commercial ammunitions that are defense specific.

The cartridges for hunting fall into these categories. Small magnums would be 357 Magnum and 10mm, which TKO at about thirteen to fifteen range. Forty-one, forty-four and forty-five all TKO in that 20 to 25 neighborhood. And then your 454 Casull, 475 Linebaughs, the Supermags and 50 Action Express all have over twice the power of those middle magnums (41,44,45).

Robert

Hey Robert,

I loaded up 100 rounds of .41 Mag. last night for a shooting session tonight...

215-gr. Oregon Trail cast bullet (actually they come out to about 210-211 gr.), 7.1 grains of WW231, a Remington Large Pistol Primer, and Federal brass.

Ever shoot a reload similar to that?

I suggest that the 45 Colt is all the power required in North America (but you better load it right).

I know it's the most powerful gun in my personal battery.

Mike Irwin

Winchester 231 is good powder. One of my favorite paper punching loads is 6.5 grains of 231 under those Oregon Trail Bullets and Winchester WLP primers. Very pleasurable to shoot. If you want something with a little more bark, 9.6 grain of Herco and those same bullets and primers. Deadly accurate loads, but with a magnum feel.

Robert

Back