.357 Magnum Rifle for Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting the paddles to this old thread.

Am working up field loads, both Factory and Handloads, for the RUGER 77/357.

WP-20180617-12-03-43-Pro-1-crop.jpg

I'll start w/ this vid, as I found it very interesting.

Sighted in for a MPBR(3") (+/- 1.5"), I get a Max-range of ~ 125 yards - and at that range a Velocity of ~ 1370 fps, and ~ 660 Lb-ft of Energy.

Should be good for 150 yards (~ 1300 fps/600 Lb-ft) with ~ 4 inches of hold-over.

Under 50 yards, this round is a little over-stressed, but is very dynamic.

The XTP FP would probably be a better bullet at this velocity, but I got a few boxes of the HDY Custom on sale, and then a pile of the FM loading of this bullet at a ball ammo price.

So it's a start.

Red

Last edited:
"100 years ago, the 32 WCF (aka 32-20) was considered an entirely adequate deer cartridge (deer being kind of on the smallish end of "big game")."

I've got a Winchester m1892 in 32-20 and cringe thinking about deer being shot with them. The .32 is misleading... it's a cool caliber, but pretty puny overall.

On another note, to whoever said a snub 357 is useless... I've got one and sure as hell wouldn't want to be shot with it!

"100 years ago, the 32 WCF (aka 32-20) was considered an entirely adequate deer cartridge (deer being kind of on the smallish end of "big game")."

I've got a Winchester m1892 in 32-20 and cringe thinking about deer being shot with them. The .32 is misleading... it's a cool caliber, but pretty puny overall.

On another note, to whoever said a snub 357 is useless... I've got one and sure as hell wouldn't want to be shot with it!

This vid pretty much puts the snub-nosed .357 Mag to rest.

As for the .357 Mag. Carbine?

This is a Federal AE 158 gr. JSP at 135 yards.

Sighted in for a MPBR(3") (+/- 1.5"), I get a Max-range of ~ 125 yards - and at that range a Velocity of ~ 1350 fps, and ~ 635 Lb-ft of Energy.

Should be good for 150 yards (~ 1270 fps/565 Lb-ft) with ~ 4 inches of hold-over.

Under 50 yards, this round mushrooms nicely and really plows in.

Red

Red - I'm not saying it's going to halt a charging Kodiak. But based on the video, 1250fps with the right bullet is still going to leave a mark...

Red - I'm not saying it's going to halt a charging Kodiak. But based on the video, 1250fps with the right bullet is still going to leave a mark...
The way I figure it - If the Carbine produces 158-180 gr. (or 140 gr. copper) Point-blank range/6" Revolver performance at 150 yards?

Then it should put a nice big hole through most anything tasty in the field.

Red

Firepower you can reload the 357 for a rifle. I do not know of any one that loads 357 for a rifle so reloads is it. The Hodgdon reloading book has the 357 loading in it the Western Powders reloading book does NOT have it I know there is different reloading book that does have it GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back