.357 magnum revolver purchase

Guy,
Thanks for the info on the Taurus. I hadn't heard about the timing problem, or even thought of it for that matter. When you say you won the 627 was that a taurus 627 tracker? I thought the 627 was a 7 shot. Also, is yours titanium? I was quoted $369
for one in stainless. I haven't seen one in person yet because "Maryland's State Police
Handgun Approval Board" hasn't deemed them safe yet. I still am not sure which end of the gun they stand in front of when conducting the test. :)

Oh yeh, can I borrow that golden horseshoe when you're done with it? :)

[This message has been edited by Ruger guy (edited January 11, 2000).]

Woops! I forgot that Taurus has model numbers that resemble S&W model numbers. :(

Mine is a S&W Performance Center 627 V-Comp competition revolver. Won't find many for that $369 price. :D

S&W sponsers revolver competition lavishly and gave away five of these at their IRC last year. They are giving away three more this year if you want to join ICORE, and come on down to the Hogue (yep, THAT Hogue) action pistol range in San Loius Obispo, CA.

[This message has been edited by Guy B. Meredith (edited January 11, 2000).]

Guys, don't be fooled by the so called "lifetime repair policy" For decades upon decades, Colt, S&W, Ruger, Remington, Winchester etc. have had the same thing. They just don't publicize it. If it is a factory problem, they will take care of it. Sometimes even stupid people problems also.

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Guy,
Thanks for clearing that up. Somehow I thought it was something like that. Do I need to attend to win or can I just join. If I don't need to be there, then what does it cost to join and who do I contact. Also, how much are you gonna charge for the golden horse shoe rental? :)

johnblackstone

You're 100% right. Revolvers just work. You don't need to think about anything, just pull the trigger, and if there's a bad round, pull again. Autos are cool, but revolvers work each and every time, with little room for operator error. Nothing to think about.

While I own a Ruger GP-100, ss, 3 inch barrel, and compact grips, I would probably choose the Smith in your case. You mentioned you would be doing some target work, and that is where the Smith shines.

Now if you had to choose a gun to save your life, carry in the field, or shoot constant magnums, I would recommend the Ruger hands down.

Two questions:

1. What the hell is a .357 +P!!! No such thing. While there is a .357 Maximum, you really sholdn't shoot them from a stock .357 revolver.

2. The notion that the Smith is more durable thatn the Ruger because of the number of parts. BOGUS!!! The Ruger line of medium and large frame revolvers are the most durable, an rugged revolvers in the market...period. That is a fact that I have never been legitimatly disputed. The Smith L frame may come close, but no cigar. Now if were talking smooth actions, Rugers get beat everyday and twice on Sunday. I bought the Ruger because triggers can be refined. inherant durability must start at the factory.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

[This message has been edited by PeterGunn (edited January 11, 2000).]

Back