.357 magnum revolver purchase

RWK

This post seeks advice re a potential .357 magnum purchase.

I own - and frequently shoot - several semiautomatics (a Sig P220 and a P226, a Kimber stainless 1911A1, a Glock 23C, and a Colt/Browning hammerless 1908 in .380 ACP). For reasons I really can't explain, I now want to buy a .357 revolver that will be used for target shooting and general plinking (with .38 Special FMJ) as well as for occasional concealed carriage (probably with .357 magnum Hydra-Shock).

After some research plus following relevant threads on TFL for months, I've tentatively limited my options to the Ruger GP-100 series and the S&W 686 series - both in stainless with a four inch barrel.

I know both weapons have generally outstanding reputations. Also, I've shot both and have no clear preference. In addition, I appreciate the slight advantage the 686 may have in "trigger smoothness" and the GP-100 may have in general durability (although both revolvers seem to be excellent in these categories). The slight price differential is not a major consideration.

I would appreciate your experiences with these two revolvers, particularly any competitive factors (such as customer service, warrantee conditions, out-of-the-box accuracy, long-term reliability, CCW safety, etc.) that I have not mentioned.

Many thanks.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited January 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited January 05, 2000).]

I've never fired the GP-100, but I do own a 686. I love it and it conceals a lot better than you can imagine. I really like the L frame and I find the four inch barrel is just right. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have a old S&W model 19,pinned and recessed.It has between 40 and 50 thousand rounds fired through it.At least 3/4 where ++p 38,the rest +P 357's but no problems and still very tight.I put a spring kit in it when it was new,Thats the only modification.I think you would have to a long way to beat that record so I would buy the smith.
Bob

I have used S&W .357 Magnums for many years, N frames and K frames. They are excellent pistols and the .357 Magnum 125 grain jackeyed hollow ooint load is the closest thing to a death ray that has yet been invented.

I purchased a used Performance Center 3" 686 from a dealer. The front night site was black and the barrel needed to be turned just a bit to be true to the frame. I sent it back to S&W, told them it was definitely NOT under warranty and asked them to fix it and let me know the cost. 1 1/2 weeks later UPS delivered my gun, everything was fixed, and no bill. That's customer service.

Mark

------------------

GP100's seem to have at least one load in them that gives 2" at 50 yards.

Ruger and S&W both have good customer service.

The cylinder release on Rugers is a better design.
Durability, without question, falls to the Ruger.

I own two 4" ss heavy-lug GP100's. I, too, could have bought any gun (and have), but I am performance-oriented, and hold no loyalty to ANY brand. I base my choices on function only. I own both brands, and my wife's always gun is a Smith.

But based on your parameters the choice is simple.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Ruger and Smith each market fine guns. The customer service I've had with ruger has been good. With Smith it has been better. I prefer the smoothness of the Smith, but the Ruger is no slouch by any means.

Thanks to all for your excellent input. Unfortunately, I am still undecided . . . so, back to the range later today to see if firing both again drives a decision.

One thing is certain, both the Smith 686 and the Ruger GP-100 are excellent firearms.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited January 08, 2000).]

RWK
There are many tales of K FRAME Smiths
with thousands (25K Plus) on them.
The L FRAME if beefed up to take looong term gaint Booms. It will also keep its amazing accuracy (visit GUNWEB.com for 686
test.)
Another thing I noticed from some 6-odd
surveys on 'IF U ONLY HAD ONE GUN' the 686
came out ahead time-after-time.The Python($)
and 686 were by far the leaders. When survey
was changed to 'IF U COULD KEEP ONLY one of YOUR guns' the 686 blew-away the Colt as it is a more widely held(hope that's a pun)piece.
Good Grouping.dewey

If the price difference is not a big deal then you should get the Smith 686. I agree with my fellow shooters that they are both fine pistols. I vote for the Smith because it is smoother right out of the box, plus it is simple. The Ruger has a few more parts that make up the firing mech. More parts = more things to damage or break.

RWK-Your solution is easy. Buy both. You won't regret either choice. I have both and take both to the range for some friendly competition with friends/family and other shooters. Smith and Ruger both have awesome service and parts departments. You just can't lose here.

Steve

I own a 6" 686 and a 4" GP100. They are both great. I prefer Smith's only because I'm 15 minutes from the factory, they repair while you wait if its not a big job. I did return my GP100 to Ruger and the service was outstanding ! It's a good problem you have here you can't go wrong.

I have a S&W 586 w/ 4" barrel(586 being the blued version of the 686). I have had nothing but good times with this gun. It shoots right on target w/ all loads. The trigger is very smooth in both modes, and the quality is better then I expected. Mine had some pretty big and fat wood grips on it that didn't really do to well at concealed carry. I have since put on some rubber hogue mono's and it conceals quite well now. Great gun for the money!

FireForged,
My dealer ordered the GP100 for me when He called to say it was in I looked at the gun did the paperwork and went home. Closer inspection at home I noticed marks on the cylinder face like gouges. I returned the gun to my dealer who sent it back to Ruger. Ruger called for my permission to destroy the gun and issue me a new one . They said they needed my ok for paperwork with the A.T.F.. I thought they would just replace the cylinder.The new gun is perfect. My 686 has not been back to the factory but other Smith's have my experience there is they bend over backwards for the customer.

I have been tossing around the same dilema. Only it's gotten a bit more complicated. I've seen the taurus 608 with the factory porting and 8 shot capacity and the 627 equipped the sames with 7 shot cap. The problem is that the taurus is priced so well for all the features. Believe it or not, the trigger feels the best too. Also, money is a factor here. However, I do know that you get what you pay for and cheap people generally wind up paying more in the long run one way or another. Has anyone had any experience with the taurus? I mean really, not just brand prejudice.

I don't hold a brand loyalty, perse, but it always seems that after lots of investigating and evaluating I wind up back with Ruger. They build tough reliable stuff and have a well rounded line up of products.

Thanks

You want to buy one for reasons you can't really explain? I bet it is because of the RELIABILITY, SAFETY, AND SMIPLICITY. If you want to have a handguy available for your wife who might not be a practiced shooter, the revolver is without question, better than even a DAO pistol (some women can't always rack the slide).

Don't be the least apologetic about buying a revolver. I have several pistols, but the revolver is by my bedside.

I have owned both at the same time.

IMO, the S&W 686 is a superior revolver. THe trigger is sweet !

The S&W lifetime warranty makes it an even better buy ! Price should be right around $360 for a stock 4 inch 686.

Ruger Guy,

I also found the Taurus 608 very attractive when I went about deciding on my first handgun. I did not particularly care for the porting, but all else was interesting.

I finally decided on the 7-shot 686+ with 6" barrel as people active in revolver competition claim the Taurus requires retiming as frequently as once each year under competition level use.

The 627 line is 8-shot and from about $800 to $1000 depending on discount. I would probably have put off getting one maybe forever due to my budget, in favor of a couple of other Smiths and two Rugers, but I won one in a raffle at the International Revolver Championship in San Louis Obispo last year with $20 worth of tickets. It is now my everday target and competition gun and after sending about 8500 rounds down range, the 686+ is a 'reference' gun to sort out my shooting style and is my home defense gun. Still get a kick out of shooting the lighter weight 686+ and exercise it regularly.

One day I will probably pick up a Taurus 66, 669 or 608 for home defense so that it will sit in the evidence locker instead of the more expensive, fine 686+.

Back