357 magnum cowboy pistol ?

Howdy

I shoot a lot of Cowboy Action. I would not say that it is a no brainer. There are quite a few choices. Exactly what is the purpose of this revolver going to be?

The ones that are actually like Old West Colts have a little notch instead of an actual rear sight. The Vaqueros and Colt 1873 replicas are like that.

I prefer the Blackhawks because they have a real and decently-sized rear sight that is adjustable.

The purpose would mainly be a fun gun for range shooting. I would like adjustable sights, a good trigger and 5 1/5 or 6" barrel.

+1 to the Ruger Blackhawk.

A very SOLID gun with adjustable sights and plenty of folk out there to slick up the action for you if you decide you want to do that. Also videos to show you how to do it yourself if you're into that.

For your requirements I would also throw my vote to the Ruger Blackhawk, I have a few and love them. Solid as a hammer and can be carried with all 6 loaded. I prefer the 4 5/8 or 5 1/2 barrel models but this is just my preference, good luck with your hunt for your new revolver.

P.S. don't count out a nice used model, also are you looking for blue or stainless?

Howdy Again

If you want adjustable sights, then you are pretty much limited to a Ruger Blackhawk. Unless you want to spend big bucks and buy a Colt New Frontier. If you could find one. Only 45 Colt and 44 Special though. If you could find one of the old 2nd Gen New Frontiers, they were also chambered for 357 Mag. I see Colt is cataloging the New Frontier again, dunno if any are actually available.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers/New-Frontier

The Blackhawk gives you an adjustable rear sight and like any 357 Mag revolver you can also shoot 38 Special out of it. Since the early 1970s the Blackhawk has had a transfer bar in it that makes it completely safe to carry fully loaded with six rounds. Can't say the same of a Colt or clone.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/newModelBlackhawk/overview.html

I bought my 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible Blackhawk back in 1975.

BlackhawkConvertible02_zpsac3ff932.jpg

I'd show you my 357 Blackhawks, but they are old Three Screws. Oh what the heck, the 357s are the 2nd and 3rd from the left.

Three%20Screw%20Rugers%2001_zps84sa09ky.jpg

Adjustable sights are over-rated.

Adjustable sights are not over rated they have a very real place on many revolvers. For self-defense and carry, generally they are not needed. Yet if anyone wished to do accurate shooting at varying distances with different ammo, then adjustable sights are almost a necessary.

Thank you for all the replies. It looks like a Blackhawk will fill my wants nicely.
Can you still get the 45 acp cylinder for it ?

You cannot get a .45 acp cylinder for a .357 Blackhawk. You wouldn't want to pull the trigger on it anyway. :eek::D

Agree, the Lipsey Flattop is the new production Ruger to have.

You can get a .357 - 9mm Convertible for when you get abundant cheap 9mm ammo. It will feel pretty wimpy out of that heavy gun.

Back