.357 Mag failures

something to keep in mind is the tolerances involved and also the published specs.

Generally speaking and unless other wise stated, the specs on the case drawings in the loading manuals are the max limits.

Add into this the fact that the firearm chambers are going to be cut to allow the easy insertion of the max spec ammo, and that they also have their own +/- tolerances.

and then add in that sizer dies are going to be cut to produce SMALLER than max spec ammo, possibly even smaller than the min spec ammo,

Lots of combinations of tolerances are possible, and Freedom arms has a reputation of being held to "tight tolerances" and these are areas where +/- .001" might be workable and +/- .002" might not be.

I know that the common mantra is "I have never trimmed any revolver brass".

As you have found, sometimes it takes a trim for things to work properly. I hunt with several magnum revolvers, a couple of revolver caliber chambered Contender's and lever action rifles. My ammo works just fine in all of them, but a bulged crimp will stop up in most all of them.

Running a speed loader will make you say stuff that's usually not socially acceptable. What's a REAL pain is when you shove one almost to battery in a lever gun.

While most of the time trimming isn't needed, I've found it is a simple task that saves a LOT of anguish in the field. Not only that but I've usually gotten better accuracy due to the consistent crimps.

Glad things worked out for you. The trimming is usually only needed once in a while, but if you save a set up case, it's real easy to check everything then set the trimmer and touch off on the longer ones.

Another spot where uniform length is a big plus is usually glossed over, and that's in case mouth flaring. And for the same reasons as crimps.

Set your die using a "too short" case, and regular length cases get too much flare. And the reverse is true as well adjust for a long case, short ones don't get enough flare. Not quite as directly important as the crimp, but it does affect how much your brass gets worked, and that, over time affects case life.

I know that the common mantra is "I have never trimmed any revolver brass".

Maybe they haven't, so what?? Maybe they never needed to, again, so what??? doesn't mean jack to me, as I don't have their gun, their components or their ammo.

I rarely need to trim my pistol brass. BUT I DO CHECK length, often. About every time. Maybe its a lot of wasted effort, but things just seem to work better for me when I do it.

I rarely need to trim my pistol brass. BUT I DO CHECK length, often. About every time. Maybe its a lot of wasted effort, but things just seem to work better for me when I do it.

Absolutely agree, my point above exactly. Having multiple batches of brass, or brands, and/or multiple firearms that shoot the same calibers can also cause slight issues as mentioned above.

Back