357 Mag, Ball Ammo of Hollow Point?

What about a jacketed solid soft point with no hollow point cavity? Seems like that option would provide penetration with some expansion.

Bayou

It is an interesting thing, watching someone ask a bunch of strangers behind their keyboards, who have likely never killed a bear, what someone else should use to protect himself from a bear while hunting mule deer.

What you get is theory. Most of it is not even independent thought, just regurgitation of what each person’s internet hero(s) said.

You might even get some people espousing the insane theory that a deer rifle is the only gun you should have on you. A bolt action rifle as the only gun you should have? The anti-gunners would love that philosophy as a good starting point for their agendas. “A deer rifle is all you need!”

I keep waiting for a keyboard warrior with the user name “Joe Biden” to say all you need is a shotgun.

Logic dictates (if you will) that taking the gun and round that will penetrate deepest (in the creature that you have in mind), that you can draw and shoot most accurately in a hurry, and have on your person in every situation is the best choice.

This person is taking a .357. Okay. Can he shoot a screaming 180 grain bullet accurately without flinching? If not, maybe a lighter recoiling load may be best. After-all missing with a hot load is not mor effective than hitting with a more standard magnum load like a Hornaday Custom 158 grain XTP for instance.

Every person has different capabilities and I’d want to see how well these keyboard warriors shoot the guns and rounds they espouse before taking their word on what I should do.

What you actually get is dueling internet WAGs as well as popular keywords and catchphrases.

Last edited:
Good point concerning the screaming 180 gr. load. Some may have an issue with big boom it produces. The load I mentioned will definitely let you know when it fires. I weigh 250 lbs and have big hands so I have no problem with it. I use it in a Rugr GP100 that has never had a factory load put through it. I would not recommend shooting it in anything but a Ruger. I have never had to shoot one into a black bear but I have taken down many a hog with it. It is a bone crusher. I worked it up mainly for hogs.

Last edited:
Recoil is kind of irrelevant with a Chiappa Rhino. Should I find myself in bear country, my plan has always been to pack it with the 180 grain Buffalo Bore ammo.

I believe Buffalo Bore has a 180gr. flat point? I have found that a 180gr or 187gr. flat point with a wide meplate will penetrate well and shatter bone. Personally I would shy away from hollow points. Not to say they will not work but imo there are better choices out there. Below is an image of the load I use. I wish good luck to your father. Happy trails.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 187gr. WFNGC cartridges.jpg
    187gr. WFNGC cartridges.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Another question will be how are you going to carry the handgun. From experience, I have found that using a belt holster is very irritating. Carrying the rifle would knock the rifle butt against the pistol butt and drive me crazy. The answer was a shoulder rig or chest rig. No more knocking. :)

Oops, forgot a crossdraw would work too...just never used one.

If all he has access to is a 357, BB 180s for sure. I'm like Wendy, I carry a 44 Spl with 255s and 45 Colt with 285s. Both over 1000fps. The 285 load is documented by Brian Pearce to blow through a Black Bear, all six shots at 40 yards. Exits were fist sized.

Back