.357 mag 110gr HP

First reality check is that actually vels from a 2in bbl are way down from even a 4in vent test bbl. The main "gripe" about 110 .357s is that underpenetrate from a 4in or longer bbl. From a 2in bbl they should actually penetrate deeper. Or some times in a 4in you actually want a reduced penetration round for a particular use.
Even in shortest bbls, a full power 125 JHP is still best. BUT in somthing the size of a M605 controlability is usually compromised for "most" users.
The most directly comparable load would be a med vel 125. A .357 110, and a med vel 124 should be similar in effectiveness, and controlability, try your self and see which you and/ or your gun prefer.
FWIW I find that CorBon's .38 +P 110 JHP give vels close to most .357 110's, so I standize to be able to use same ammo (when wishing controlpenetration) in both 2in M10, and various .357s .

HoraceHogsnort said:
"Way too much penetrating power to be effective. In fact, this would be a dangerous load to use, as it would increase the chance of harming innocent people."

I'm call'n HORSE FEATHERS on this one unless you can provide documentation.

I second that horsefeather call....besides, how is "Way too much penetrating power..." NOT effective in a SD situation? If anything, a 158gr. HP will penetrate less when coming out of a snub barrel than a 4+" barrel d/t the velocity loss.....

HoraceHogsnort said:
Golly, we got this far without some yayhoo asserting SHOT PLACEMENT IS KING!!

Heck.....shot placement is the entire ROYAL FLUSH!!! :D

Quote bigfoot44

First reality check is that actually vels from a 2in bbl are way down from even a 4in vent test bbl. The main "gripe" about 110 .357s is that underpenetrate from a 4in or longer bbl. From a 2in bbl they should actually penetrate deeper. Or some times in a 4in you actually want a reduced penetration round for a particular use.
Even in shortest bbls, a full power 125 JHP is still best. BUT in somthing the size of a M605 controlability is usually compromised for "most" users.
The most directly comparable load would be a med vel 125. A .357 110, and a med vel 124 should be similar in effectiveness, and controlability, try your self and see which you and/ or your gun prefer.
FWIW I find that CorBon's .38 +P 110 JHP give vels close to most .357 110's, so I standize to be able to use same ammo (when wishing controlpenetration) in both 2in M10, and various .357s .

I have had real world experience with 38+P+ 110gr @ 23500 C.U.P. which would be close to .357, From a 4" S&W Model 15 the slug entered the upper chest blew the heart to shreds continued to the lower lobe of the lung and stopped just before exiting the persons back the slug opened to .612 on the micrometer I would call that very good penetration and results.

That was

the issued round on my job for the Ruger Speed Six-it worked real well for those who needed to use it.

It's a complicated question, and bullet design has a lot to do with it. Everyone knows an expanding bullet that goes too fast will blow up and may not penetrate adequately. If it goes too slow, it won't penetrate well, either, so it follows there is a nominal average velocity for maximum penetration for each design. I'm sure it varies with the bullet brand.

As to "too much penetration to be effective", I presume that was misspoken and the idea intended to be expressed was the argument that too much retained energy signals less than optimum effectiveness. That's been debated ad nauseum and won't be resolved here, either. Mostly because you can construct scenarios both in which it is and is not true, and nobody has a statistical database to convincingly show which is more likely?

The reason the 125 grain bullets garner such favor is that the heavier bullets consume too much powder space to give maximum muzzle energy, and the lighter ones don't offer enough reaction force to burn the slower high energy powders as effectively as the 125 grains does. The 125 grain seems to let you gain optimum advantage from available powders in that regard.

For example, using the QuickLOAD internal ballistice program, the Speer Gold Dots seated to SAAMI maximum with Winchester 296 filling the all the empty space behind them 100% (but not compressed) and "firing" them in a 4" revolver barrel will result in:

Code:
GD
Wt   ft-lb  ft/s
110  510  1445
125  588  1455
135  564  1372
158  548  1249

I reran the software with 2400, Ramshot Enforcer, and Norma 123 (the three top velocity producing powders) and got the same muzzle energy ranking.

Last edited:
the remington webpage says there is a rtp357m7 (htp labled box) and a r357m7 labled express.

the htp is a sjhp and im not sure about express but the remington site says that both 110gr are to travel at 1295fps. that is a light bullet at a lower end velocity for 357mag. 410ke at muzzle.

i believe winchester makes a similar round.

this rounds seems to be to a 38+ on steroids. it is very mild to shoot in all steel 4" taurus 65 (fixed sights). i found it a little low but easily corrected and accurate aside from that.

somoene may produce a quality 110gr 357 whose spped exceeds the 125gr rounds (in excess of 1400fps....the 327feds at 100 gr were going faster) but with equivalent energy? i am not sure

I dunno. If I carried a .357 mag., I'd use 158 gr. JHPs.
Way too much penetrating power to be effective. In fact, this would be a dangerous load to use, as it would increase the chance of harming innocent people.

missing would be far more likely.

please drop the too-much-penetrating crap as a danger to others please

The reason the 125 grain bullets garner such favor is that the heavier bullets consume too much powder space to give maximum muzzle energy............isnt maximum muzzle energy already done?? the bullet goes as fast as it can go.

Chronographed 3 factory loads a while back, same day, 3" revolver. Chronograph was at about 8 yards. Average for 6 of each.

110 gr Winchester jhp 1202 fps
125 gr Speer jhp 1373 fps
158 gr Federal hydra shock 1218 fps

Well, now I see this thread is 6 years old. That might have been about when I did those chronograph tests.

Last edited:
I have cooked up some hot-loaded 110 grain bullets. Using a near max charge of H110 or 300MP I can tell you that the 110 grain bullets explode and just about any thing. They work great for ground squirrels. I have my doubts as to there effect on human sized targets.

If you where to ask me what my favorite bullet weight for a 357 magnum is I would tell you 140 grain (not the leverevolution). They are the lightest bullets that in my experience will hold together even at a hot load in a carbine velocity but will expand even from a factory load in a pistol.

My second choice would be 158 grain. That is the bullet that the 357 magnum was originally designed to shoot.

I feel that the 110 grain bullets are too fragile. They work well from a snubby (I have carried them in my J-frame) but not so hot from a longer barrel. I prefer 140-158 grain bullets. They usually will still expand even at snubby velocity.

i fired the 110 gr / 1295 fps sjhp winchesther from a taurus 65 4"

these were much milder than some pmc 158gr/1200fps rounds and much more accurate for me.

i think the spec on the winchester 110 is the same as the rem 110 sjhp as far as velocity.

a youtube gel demo on the winchesters show very impressive wound channel from, 2 to 4 inches in and then a narrow channel to about 9 inches in.

expansion was right near ,6 inches so perhaps a little less diameter than super bullets but after seeing how comfy and accuratte they were for me i would certainly keep these as a defence rounds.

i hope these stay around and remian cheaper

SSA reported 110 gr Winchester jhp at 1202 fps from a 3 inch barrel. That seems to correlate well with my rememberance of getting around 1150 fps +/- from a 2.25 inch Ruger SP101 about 10 or more years ago.

I own a S&W 340PD scandium /aluminum framed 357 and S&W warns against bullets lighter than 120 grns due to extreme flame cutting.
Something to consider.

The OP was a looong time ago but I assume that he was asking about the Winchester 110gr @ 1300 FPS that you can find at Wal Mart. I am not a fan of this load, at all. First of all, it shoots very low. I have to crank up my rear sight pretty far for these rounds. Secondly, it was not accurate for me; heavier weight bullets shot much more consistently out of my K-frame.

The final reason is that shooting that light load from a heavy .357 magnum revolver is just inefficient; you may as well switch to a full sized 9mm pistol and have 15+ rounds of similar performance, instead of only 6. My feeling is that if you are going to defend yourself with a big, heavy service revolver with limited capacity, then each round fired from the gun should take full advantage of the caliber. I think the recoil from full power 125gr and heavier loads is very controllable and sort of overrated in online gun talk.

I have a Colt trooper MK3 4" barrel, and a Python with 6" barrel.
I loaded them with 110 grain, because that was the only one I could buy last time....Otherwise I prefer the 158 grains in this caliber.

I would expect less expansion but deeper penetration with a 2" barrel given bullet design is probably with a 4" barrel's length in mind for stated velocity but without gel testing I cannot confirm. Head, neck or center of mass bullet placement would most likely result in a fatality.

Taurus M605

I am not an expert. I too have a 2" 357 MAG REVOLVER. I DON'T LIKE SAYING THIS, BUT YOU HAVE TO BUY A COUPLE of boxes of different ammo and see what you can handle and like. If you are using this as your primary home or outside defense you really have to test all your options. It doesn't matter what the group says. All that matters is what you shoot the best and for what reason you are arming yourself.

Back