.357 mag 110gr HP

Ghost289

Inactive
I would like to know the boards opinion of the .357 mag 110gr hp vs the 125gr hp as far as stopping power. I currently own a Taurus M605 (2"bbl) and this round is much more comfortable to shoot the the 125gr load. I would like some input as to this loads effectiveness. Am I sacrificing stopping power?

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to.

It's clearly a hotter round than any .38 spl round (including +P) you could buy. It's also hotter than any standard pressure 9mm round.

It's roughly comparable to the 115gr 9mm+P--a round which enjoys a reasonably good reputation for success.

I find it to be a good choice in a short barrel such as your 605, and it's my load of choice when I carry a 2.5" K frame. You are giving up some "stopping power", but I think it's negligible, especially when weighed against the advantages gained in muzzle blast reduction and faster follow up shots.

357 magnum stopping power

a remington .357 magnum sjhp 110 gr cartridge (r357m7) with muzzle velocity of 1295 will = 410 ft lbs of muzzle energy

a remington .357 magnum sjhp 125 gr cartridge (r357m1) with muzzle velocity of 1450 will = 583 ft lbs of muzzle energy

however, the 110 gr will give you plenty of stopping power out of your snubby. if you are comfotable with this cartridge then use it.

Yesterday, 11:39 PM #5

vytoland wrote:

a remington .357 magnum sjhp 110 gr cartridge (r357m7) with muzzle velocity of 1295 will = 410 ft lbs of muzzle energy

a remington .357 magnum sjhp 125 gr cartridge (r357m1) with muzzle velocity of 1450 will = 583 ft lbs of muzzle energy

however, the 110 gr will give you plenty of stopping power out of your snubby. if you are comfotable with this cartridge then use it.

I looked on the Alliant web site:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...&gtypeid=1&weight=110&shellid=28&bulletid=174

and saw:

357 Magnum(start over with Pistols and Revolvers)
• 110 gr Speer UCHP

Recipes
Minimum OAL
(inches) Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight
(grains) Velocity
(fps) Print
1.575 CCI 500 Bullseye 8.7 1,403 Print this recipe
1.575 CCI 500 Unique 9.7 1,447 Print this recipe
1.575 CCI 500 Power Pistol 10.5 1,451 Print this recipe
1.575 CCI 500 Blue Dot 16 1,680 Print this recipe
1.575 CCI 500 2400 19.5 1,670 Print this recipe

1670 fps (19.5 grains of 2400 with the 110 grain HP yields about 680 ft-lbs of muzzle energy per:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

This is considerably more than the 125 grain numbers. So why does the 125 grain HP have such a good reputation, while the 110 grain HP is essentially untalked about ?

I would imagine because a 110 grain SJHP would explode on target at those velocities. Interesting varmint round but I doubt it penetrates well enough for defense against two-legged predators. A 158 grain SJHP at 1600+ fps, on the other hand... now a lever .357 carbine looks like a sweet home defense weapon.

This is considerably more than the 125 grain numbers. So why does the 125 grain HP have such a good reputation, while the 110 grain HP is essentially untalked about ?
Because the loads you listed are all handloads. The typical 110gr .357Mag factory loadings are all much milder.

I suspect that this is done to provide a more recoil friendly option in the caliber.

I dunno. If I carried a .357 mag., I'd use 158 gr. JHPs.

Way too much penetrating power to be effective. In fact, this would be a dangerous load to use, as it would increase the chance of harming innocent people.

Bottom line, the 110g .357 magnum will stop a person rather quickly IMHO, but will not go through wall's like a heavier bullet might. But how much? Who know!

I'd feel safe with the 110g.

windy?

The 110g JHP offers little sectional density for penetration.
It normally does not shoot near Point Of Aim.
It offers insufficient momentum for longer-range performance.
Blast can be ferocious.

Still better than rocks, but not near the demonstrated terminal performance of a well-launched 125g (the Champ against people).
Not arguable.

The truth is there are a number of very effective loads for the .357 magnum. I like the 110 gr. in my 3 inch J-frame because it does have the lighter recoil but is still a good round.

I use 158 gr. in my 4 inch Model 19 because I want to practice with the same weight bullet I use for defense and using a lot of lighter .357s in a Model 19 is not good. I am not overly concerned with excessive penetration given the rather mundane velocities of most factory loads (not talking DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore here).

The "best" load may be different for different guns, different people, and different situations.

Ok we can agree that his short barrel revolver is not gonna propel the 110 grainer at those impressive MV's in the manuals or on the box, they probably used 6 inch or longer barrels? I should guess that a 110 gr. is not that much different than a 115 gr. 9MM bullet. And the magnum might be pushing it out of a short barrel at or maybe beyond what the MV of the 9MM does from most pistols. So I don't expect it to necessarily under penetrate or "blow up" at the lower MV it would achieve compared to a long barrel. Actually there are probably tests online somewhere or gel blocs sections or something. But perhaps they were shot with longer barrels. The gun is a belly gun after all and it will shoot low at 25 yards, but how much diff. at say, 10 yards max? I think it might be a worthwhile load, you seem to be able to shoot it better, and it does bear some more research, but don't believe anyone saying it will not work for close up SD purposes. Or that you should shoot a really heavy bullet and just eat the recoil. The heavy bullets help in the .38 plus P I think, because there is a sort of ceiling on the MV and the heavies help you get the most M.E. in that instance. The magnum is a different animal.

"Way too much penetrating power to be effective. In fact, this would be a dangerous load to use, as it would increase the chance of harming innocent people."

I'm call'n HORSE FEATHERS on this one unless you can provide documentation.

OK, Horace, . . . "Shot placement is King".:D

Having said that, . . . my original intention was just to say that when I used to shoot .357's pretty often, . . . the 110 was the MOST accurate round I shot out of my Ruger 6" SA or my Colt 4" Python. Anything out of the 2" Python was a hog's guess as to where/if it would land.

May God bless,
Dwight

"now a lever .357 carbine looks like a sweet home defense weapon."

Well, I have one, a Marlin 1894C, but at 1800+FPS, that's too much for HD. I feel a lot better off with a .38Spl+P revolver. For that matter, I usually carry a .22LR NAA revolver in my pocket around the house, loaded with CCI Velocitors. I know of cops that carry them as BUGs, and if they're good enough for the LEOs, it's good enough for me.

When I used to tote a .357 snub that was my load of choice as well. The difference between the 110 and the 125 is very pronounced. I still shot alot of the 125's and 158's but when I carried it was the 110's. Wallmart ussually has the winchester varity at a real good price. I dont know what the prices are now but if I recall correctly I was pay 15 for 50.

Back