.357 Lever Action Rifle

its not legal to shorten one, I just checked yesterday. I wanted a mares leg one but they are classed as a pistol and I wanted it long enough to class as a rifle.

Yea, you guys have strange laws :-) They're still better than most of the rest of the world though.

You need something to keep the wolf from the door until you get a handgun, and for range work afterwards. Means you're not too worried about a scope etc.

If you see a nice Rossi, snag it.

The only issue I have with mine is that it doesn't stabilise 190 grain bullets and that's not really an issue. Also, other people have reported that theirs do so YMMV.

It has been awhile since I shot SASS...guess things have changed a bit ;)

I know quite a few are glad I'm not shooting SASS anymore, lets 'em get higher standing ;)
Maybe when I retire I'll get back into it...it was those dang Ruger Vaquero's I had that put me off it...
I'm STILL cussing Ruger after all this time...they really honked me off!! LOL

Big Shrek said:
Plus, try scoping a Winnie sometime...it'll cost ya and make ya cry at the same time
Are there major modifications that go into scoping a Winchester? Their website shows their Model 94 Short scoped so I assumed it was a fairly easy procedure for any of them.

Are there major modifications that go into scoping a Winchester?

Depends on how old it is. The older models eject straight out the top (pre 1980's, I think - not sure what year it changed), so scoping is near impossible (or at least a big PITA). Newer models eject at an angle, but it is still a little awkward. I recently fired my late father-in-law's Win 94, and I can't imagine how it would have been with a scope. Besides, it would have messed up the rifle's looks something awful. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, my 1892's basically eject up and straight back over my right shoulder. If they angle to the right at all, it is not much. They would definitely be hitting a scope. Both of mine are current miroku production models.

Back