.357 LCRx!!!!!

Radny97

Ruger just updated their website to show an LCRx in .357 mag!! Praying for the 3 inch model soon! Maybe .327 will follow.

While I had hoped they would offer one, I think the $90 premium is a little hard for me to justify on a pistol that was already pushing the price/value limit.

Of course, YMMV.

I've always liked the 3" version. If they sold them here (and I didn't have the Astra), I'd be sorely tempted but I have to ask:

How exactly are the LCR and LCRx different?

I'm glad to hear they are expanding the line but am some what upset with Ruger customer service, I asked just such question about the LCRX line being expanded and they said they had no plans to expand it. 12 days later they announce the new 357 model?

"Dear Ron S. ,
Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.
This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 01/08/2017
Request No: 370414
Comment / question:

Hello,
I was curious if you planned on expanding the LCRX platform to other calibers? I would love to see a LCRX in 327mag. I enjoy the 32 cal series of weapons due to joint pain that limits my big boomers.
Thanks,
Ron S.

Response:
At this time we do not have plans to produce this model in any other caliber. Thank you fro your e-mail.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol:- (603) 865-2442
Pistols:- (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information:- (603) 865-2424

Please note:- This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.- Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

Last edited:
While I am a huge proponent of Ruger products and .357 Magnum, this is one move I think is not going to be too well received.

Not only does the market not need another short barreled .357 Mag., but in a gun that lightweight, it will not at all be pleasant to shoot. Most will probably just be shooting .38 special out of it after the first cylinder full. Might as well get the LCR-X in .38 special+P.

If Ruger wants to expand the LCR-X line, I think they should be focusing on the .327 Federal Magnum in a 3". There is a much greater market for that gun than another short, light .357 Mag.

Response:
At this time we do not have plans to produce this model in any other caliber. Thank you fro your e-mail.

Technically, they told you the truth. They already make the .38 Special in the LCR-X, which is the same caliber as the .357 Magnum.

I agree with you that they need this gun in the .327 Fed. Mag. See above post. We must have be typing at the same time.

As shootable as the DA only LCR .357 is with mag cartridges, this gun, with that big grip and a 3" barrel would not be really bad to shoot.

Would I buy one...no, I already have a 44 Special for the purpose this gun would serve. And, if I am going to buy a .327, which I am not, I want a barrel longer than 3".

While we're hoping, 22 LR LCRx 3"!!!!!
This is really the diamond in the rough waiting to be shaped by Ruger. It would easily be the best .22 LR revovler they make.

I think that with the .357 Mag LCRx, it means that all the other currently available LCR's, the .22, 9mm, .327, will all eventually be in the exposed hammer models. The real thing I wonder is if Ruger will ever make them in 3 inch or longer barrels. I mean, can you imagine a .357 LCRx with a 4 inch barrel? That would be a featherweight pocket cannon.

If Ruger does expand the LCRx line to beyond .38 and .357, we're going to know by the end of this year. It will probably be a .22 in snub length and 3 inch barrels.

it means that all the other currently available LCR's, the .22, 9mm, .327, will all eventually be in the exposed hammer models
I doubt they will discontinue the "hammerlrss" snubby models. Certainly preferred by many for pocket carry.

TruthTellers said:
...all the other currently available LCR's, the .22, 9mm, .327, will all eventually be in the exposed hammer models.
Perhaps, but I suspect that the timeframe for release will depend on how the hammerless LCR models in those calibers are selling.
TruthTellers said:
The real thing I wonder is if Ruger will ever make them in 3 inch or longer barrels. I mean, can you imagine a .357 LCRx with a 4 inch barrel? That would be a featherweight pocket cannon.
Based on past Ruger releases, they may skip straight to 4.2" barrels for Canadian commercial sale. New-made .32-caliber handguns may not be lawfully sold in Canada, but Ruger is selling a 4.2" .327 SP101 anyway, probably something to do with sharing tooling with the .357-caliber models.
Cheapshooter said:
I doubt they will discontinue the "hammerl[e]ss" snubby models. Certainly preferred by many for pocket carry.
Ditto, and I suspect they'll remain more popular overall, particularly in 9mm and .327. I could see a .22LR LCRx outselling the LCR version, however. :)
Deaf Smith said:
Surely you people have shot the S&W 340PD, right?

If not, rent one and use magnums!
I have—the marginally heavier M&P340, actually—and I did, with 180gr bullets no less. :)

It was not a comfortable experience. :eek:

I've shot the .38+P LCR and the .357 LCR.

I used the same box of .38+P ammo in both. I then used S&B .357ammo in the .357.

If I were to buy one, I'd get the .357 and plan on carrying with .38+P ammo in it.

The extra weight of the .357 LCR [a couple ounces] was noticeable in the amount of motion I felt in my hand. The perceived recoil in .38+P was less in the .357mag version.

The .38+P frame was way too lively for me. I'd trade a few ounces for that trigger and easier control.

I know- shoot it more until I get the hang of it.

Good plan. Yet, my dozens of other flame shooters would be jealous of the LCR taking all of my time.:p

I actually might buy this- if it gets onto California's approved list. I don't have a barrel shorter than 3", and I like the trigger.

I just wasn't going to buy one without a thumb-cockable hammer. This LCRx fixes that objection. Glad I waited.

[and picked up 3 1950s classics- K22, K38 and Colt model 357!:D]

Back