• .38 Special +P's?

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • .38 Special standard velocity?

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Allrighty, let's try this poll thing. What loads do you keep in your home defense .357 wheelgun?

An older S&W mod 19 doesn't do to much house gun duty but when it does I like Pro-Loads 125gr Tactical Lite which is a medium velocity 357 maggie load. Best, J. Parker

I like the .38 Special +P 158 grain lead hollow point - Less recoil, less muzzle blast, less muzzle flash, less penetration through walls, and more controllable than the .357 magnum.

-Mk.IV

One house gun is an old S&W 581....

loaded with 145 WW Silvertip (werewolf) ammo.

Shoots to point of aim at 25 yards.

Didn't know they made anything other than 125gr JHP's for use in a .357 Magnum! :D

All humor aside, I don't use a .357 for home defense but if I did I would load with the same ammo that I practice with. That would be 125gr Gold Dot HP's. :)

R6

Winchester makes some inexpensive 110 garin JHP's in 357 Magnum. They are the ones in their normal white and red box. They are supposed to fly like the wind and I have heard that they expand like no other. :)

.357 Magnum fired indoors........

Wow! Quite a few shooters opt for the .357 magnum for home defense.

Have any of you ever fired a .357 indoors, in dark or dimly lit conditions?

How was your night vision and hearing affected?

I'm not so concerned with noise (any handgun fired indoors will make your ears ring), but .357 Magnum JHP loads have a tendency to penetrate like nobody's business. I don't want to nick the perp and shoot through three sheets of drywall, a door, Fluffy the neighbor's dog, and the nice lady next door as she's sitting in front of the TV. It would suck if her Ally McBeal episode got interrupted by a 147gr. JHP to the melon that left the barrel of my 6" 686 at 1400 fps.

My 686 sits on my nightstand loaded with .38 Special +P Silvertips.

When I use a 357 for home defense I load it with full power 125gr JHPs, the other revolver I use at home is a 3" M24 S&W loaded with either 180gr JHP or 240gr LSWC @ 900fps. I live in a rural area so over penetration is not an issue, if the bullet goes through someone I've had to shoot so much the better - he'll be bleeding from two holes.

When I lived in an appartment I loaded my 357 with Glazers, if I lived in one of these modern housing developments that pack houses in like appartments I'd do the same.

My .357 house mouse gun is loaded with 125 Cor-Bon defensive. rather mild recoil, low flash. Have tried em in low/no light drills and night vision not affected all that much. Noise will be screwed.....have had heavy .357 discharged from closed vehicle...........by by certain frequencies.

Sam

Yes; an 8 3/8" 586 (with a scope). The more practical "home defense-ish" .357's belong to my roomie... :)

Yes; an 8 3/8" 586 (with a scope).
:eek: That's the only cartridge wheelgun I currently own (minus the scope). Hopefully, I'll be filling some holes soon. Damned auto fever bit me about a year ago.

Around the house, Mr. .357 gets fed with .38spl +p Hydra Shocks. I don't know what a full .357 load out of a 3" bbl in the dark in a smallish flat walled bedroom would do to my sight and hearing... but I'm sure it's not good.

How did you know I had a .357?

House Gun and Ammo:

S&W 686 4" with 125 grain GoldDots

Back up is Mossberg 500 with #8 shot

Undergunned? No, No I don't think so...

-LeadPumper

Winchester 158 gr. lead, semi-wadcutter hollow point, +P. Shoots to POA in all of my revolvers.
I have fired thousands of these and really like them.

Used to load up .38+P Hydra Shoks. Now have .357 Mag Glazers. Have not had to use either one, thank goodness!

Back