.357 Home defense bullet designs

Just because one has mastered marksmanship dosnt mean one should dismiss the aspect of equipment.
I can hit what I aim at with an increasing level of accuracy, but I still want the best gun and ammo for the job at hand. Just because I can take 200yd headshots with it, dosnt mean I'm takeing my 77/22 deer hunting. As far as I know, the venerable 125gr semi-jacketed HP from Remington and Federal is still the king of the hill for .357 defence, although I think the federal has been discontinued.

Shot placement is important, but in a real-world scenario, you probably aren't going to be able to hit the target the same way you do at the range (hold still, concentrate, shoot). Most people don't train for firing on the move, firing at moving subjects, etc. You can either shoot and hope to hit the moving target (spray and pray), or you can wait until the BG is still. If you wait, you give him the chance to shoot at you.

Given that I beleive this to be the case, I think that bullet design is very important, as is magazine capacity. In ranges that will be encountered in a home, over-penetration is a concern. Defensive hollow points, such as the Hydra-Shok, Silvertip, and Golden Saber, are the best choice, IMO.

Combat training is a good idea too. Firing at still paper targets doesn't cut.

In any case, you should have a shotgun for home defense. Handguns are crappy manstoppers.

It is after all a revolver! You are not limited to one bullet design in a cylinder. At home I keep four 158 LSWCHP 38spl +Ps followed by two 158 JHP 357 Mag +P Georgia Arms Deer Stoppers.

Elliot

Back