.357 / H110/ Hornady XTP

Which leads me to a question for our OP: How committed to H-110 are you?

Im not married to H110. I used it because i had some already for my .44 Mag and the velocity was decent according to the manuals/websites. It does have a big flash and I am always willing to try something else. Besides, I am now out of H110 after making up about 200 rounds of .357.

I am now out of H110 after making up about 200 rounds of .357.

It goes fast. It's actually a low energy propellant so charge weights are high.

That's another advantage of 2400. It's more economical (not that propellant cost is a major factor). Charge weights are less for 2400 - yet the fill levels are slightly more (it's "fluffier").

2400 does not require a magnum primer. From my experience in fact, the use of a magnum primer is detrimental. Pressure signs appear with lower velocities.

2400 is a higher energy propellant. Which typically means you can down load it and it will still run relatively clean and consistent. If you're into that. I'm old, so that has some importance for me. I load slightly "de-tuned" 44 Mag ammo with it and it works great. Even my 357 Mag ammo is turned down a little - as previously mentioned.

Power Pistol turns down well too - but that's another subject.

Thanks Uncle Nick for the great explanation. I should have stated both the H110 and HS6 loads are max Hodgdon manual loads. I have become accustom to my hands and eyes so I rarely exceed published loads. Again thanks for the concern.
tj

Sounds like you are doing it right, then. If the HS-6 loads are meeting your needs, that's saving you about half the cost of powder, which makes total sense to do.

Back