.357 for whitetail

bamaranger,
Well stated. I've shot a lot of deer with the .357mag, but there is no way I could argue the point about which might be better for a deer hunting choice. The 44mag just does everything the 357mag does, and does it a bit better. Taking into account that the gun might turn into a plinker, target, and small game gun might change the choice a bit. In that case if I could only have one gun due to financial constraints, etc, I'd go with the .357mag and practice a bit more. That being said, the .357mag just might get shot a bit more due to the fun factor and lower recoil and therefore the shooter might just become a bit more proficient in using it. I think the best choice if it can be afforded is to get one of each and use the .44mag for the deer hunting :)

, but a miss of the vitals with a Buffalo Bore .44 magnum out of a rifle will anchor them every time, no matter where hit.

Since this was said without any smiley faces or other indication it was meant to be a joke, or sarcasm, I shall assume the poster meant this as a serious statement of fact.

That being the case, it is one of the stupidest things I have seen posted in ages, and the poster has lost my respect for their opinions by saying it.

You cannot count on anchoring ANYTHING if you miss the vitals. Why do you think we call them "vitals", anyway??? Because hitting them in VITAL to taking the animial. Hits in non-vital spots do not guarantee anything, other than a wounded deer, and demonstrating your poor accuracy and judgment.

As to the .357 Magnum as a deer round, it is entirely adequate, within its limitations. With the correct bullet choice, there is sufficient energy to do the job at any range you are capable of accurately placing the bullet. That is its biggest restriction, the range YOU can accurately shoot it.

However, the .357 Mag does not have the energy reserve of larger, more powerful rounds, so precision is required, along with choosing the RIGHT bullet for the job.

For deer, from a carbine, avoid the 125gr JHP class ammo. These rounds are optimized for personal defense from handguns, and while you get some impressive velocity figures from a carbine (2200fps) the bullets are being overdriven (by nearly a third), and tend to expand "explosively" and not penetrate well.

A 158gr (or heavier) soft point slug, is a much better choice, essentially the only valid choice for deer hunting. The heavier construction means they don't "blow up" as badly (expect more expansion from the higher rifle velocities,) and generally penetrate better than lighter slugs.

This may not make any difference with a behind the shoulder shot, or a neck shot, but if the slug has to get through the shoulder, the heavier bullet is a much better choice.

My experience with the .357 in a carbine is limited to the Marlin lever gun, (which is also easy to scope if desired), but other than mounting optics, I would expect the Rossi to behave about the same. While I am very fond of Rugers, for woods deer hunting I would choose the lever over the bolt action.

Another factor you might consider is recoil. Recoil of a .44 Mag from a light lever gun is fairly stout, for some people. Now, if you are used to shooting 12ga slugs, its a moot point, but if not, the .357 has the advantage. Recoil is very light (and in .38 almost non-existent), which is why it also makes a fine small game & plinking rifle.

Lots of folks will tell you that you need "artillery" to anchor a whitetail. You don't. Use the right bullet, put it in the right place, and you will have venison.

".357 not legal to hunt deer in Maryland" I used to hunt Maryland a lot 20-25 years ago. I never heard that. I saw a few guys with .30 carbines and that is really a sissy round. New law?

A 357 is perfectly legal in MD from either a handgun or from a rifle. Out of a rifle you can easily exceed 1200ftlbs of energy and thats with common off the shelf ammo. Its plenty for deer with a well placed shot.

I have killed id guess about 50-75 deer over my life time. Most are Idaho Mule deer and the majority where killed with a marlin 357 magnum. Id recommend a hot loaded 158 grain bullet. I used Buffalo bore a few times and its great stuff.

I now have the ruger 77/357 (with a suppressor) and its a fun gun and seems very accurate (Cut to 16.25 inches)

Model12, your statement " but a miss of the vitals with a Buffalo Bore .44 magnum out of a rifle will anchor them every time, no matter where hit. I do like .357 deer rifles, but if the OP can afford it, a .44 magnum is tremendously more effective when talking long guns." is ridiculous.

This photo comes from Paco Kelly. He used to hunt in South Africa nearly every year with lever action rifles. This impala was taken with a Marlin in 357MAG and the damage is evident. The 357MAG is not a long range cartridge but up close its quite deadly indeed!

Jack

Back