.357 ammo for deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But yeah I can't speak for everyone because no one shoots the same, but for me I'm absolutely 100% positive that a .357magnum with the right load even factory loads, I can kill a deer or a grizzly bear by that matter, at 1 to 100 yards max for me with the right shot.

Soooooooooooo, how many of them deer and Grizzlies have you killed with your .357 at 100 yards?

The only thing that I can understand why people say it won't is because there either a bad shot, or they have a bigger bored gun and think its better than everyone else's gun.

No body here said it "won't". All was said that a .357, like any hunting firearm has it's limitations. The shooter needs to know these limitations plus his own before he makes a decision to shoot. This is not only true with .357s, but with any hunting firearm. It's much easier on the internet to make long distance one shot bang flops than it is in real life.

Ok here's a caveat: I've NEVER shot a deer with a .357mag handgun. I have however taken deer with a lever action .357mag rifle.

At the ranges you're talking about and with the load you're planning to use you should be ok. That'll be plenty enough to take deer. As someone stated though I'd lose the scope for 25yards or less. At that range just practice a lot and get good with irons. A scope will just get in the way.

Heck even with my .44mag revolver I don't use a scope. I use irons out to 75 yards and if its farther than that then I don't take the shot unless I've got a rifle to shoot - not the gun's fault, just my bad aim.

5 1/2 year old thread. OP long gone. There seems little value in rehashing this one. The "it's enough gun", "no it ain't"... argument has been had for this cartridge and every other one too, 1000 times over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back