.350 Legend AR-15 for bear defense possible?

if the rifle is capable of bear defense in case of emergency.

No. 500gr/50 Beowooof if you want an "AR-Type" action, else a plain old pump 12-gauge slug gun.

:rolleyes:

M1 Garand ...

Load it with an 8-rd clip of 220gn Remmy CoreLoks. Proven bruin-stopper. Tune it with a Schuster M1 adjustable gas plug. You're good to go.

Iron sights are fine, but if you're a myopic Fuddley-McGoo type human, then simply attach an Ultimak forward rail and run a red dot or a low-power scout scope.

Zero at 100-yds. Done.

Any bears that harass you - DRT.

You can thank me later.

Last edited:
I mean, if you are looking at this thing for a purpose built bear defense gun why are you even considering the .350 Legend? Why not jump straight to .458SOCOM or .50 BEO? You are voluntarily handicapping yourself...why?

Being a 357 Maximum owner, I like the idea. Already having a 458 socom and 450 BM, I haven’t put together an upper for one yet.

When I was on fire fighting contract, the Rangers trained us in bear attacks. Later a Ranger saw I had a 357MAG revolver and said its okay as a last stand against a bear (if its not a bluff run); but for a handgun, he said a 44MAG is a better choice. I shortly traded my 357 for a 44. So I would use a 450BM if a available vs a 350 L. But a 350L would most likely work. You have to unload in the rib cage when it rears up, in hopes of injuring it to a point where it hurts for it to use its two forward legs according to Alaska Rangers. And they all told me many stories of what they seen work and not work while on that fire contract.

#6 51 skipper thinks the bear would "hand you your a55"==I think hed eat it..

For a black bear AR go w/ the 450 bushmaster.

I think a lot of people are missing the gist of the OP‘s question.

The plan seems to be to have an AR-patterned 350L for hunting game other than bears. But he is wondering if the chambering would suit for emergency defense against a bear. To me, the answer to his question is a strong “yes”.

"...wondering if the chambering would suit for emergency defense against a bear. To me, the answer to his question is a strong “yes”.
And mine would be a strong "NO".

Emergency use means unplanned, fast reaction, sub-optimal bullet placement... and likely (both you & the bear;)) in a highly-agitated state of mind.
You want a weapon capable of all the deliberately-inherent 'Collateral Lethality' you can get.

Last edited:
Of course bullet placement is everything
Aa old friend of mine was shot down in a chopper by a 25 auto, who’d of thunk??????

8 Best Charge-Stopping Bear Cartridges
1. . 45-70 Government. ...
2. . 454 Casull. ...
3. . 44 Remington Magnum. ...
4. . 375 H&H Magnum. ...
5. . 50 Alaskan. ...
12-Gauge Slug. According to Nelson, the 12-gauge slug gun is by far one of the most popular choices for bear protection in the Alaskan bush. ...
7. . 338 Winchester Magnum. ...
8. . 357 S&W Magnum.
Jun 3, 2019

8 Best Charge-Stopping Bear Cartridges

Ok found that link.
I question the thinking.
Bet 30-06 has stopped more than any of'em,
Maybe with exception of 12 gauge.

I don't see why not, with the right bullets. The 147 gr hardcast 9mm bullets are penetrating 6 FEET or more in ballistics gel from handguns and have proven they will bring down Alaskan brown bear.
That person got lucky.

And as previously stated, bears differ thru the country. Bear defense is different than bear hunting, obviously. Would the 350 be adequate to defend against a bear charging at you? Maybe.

I think nothing beats a 12GA at close fast contact. But I always have a back up side arm on me when hunting, after being charged twice. And switched from the 357 to the 44.
The 350L is a better choice than a 357... but how much better, will tell w time.

Dudes there is a report of bear shootings with a handgun. It had a 97% kill rate with everything from 9 mm and up.

Steve

The account in that link, from august 2002 on the Russian River in Alaska, is not entirely accurate. Yes, a ruger P89 9mm pistol was used, in addition to a SKS. The 9mm rounds didn't hit vital organs, it shattered the bears shoulder, dropping it. I forget how many rounds they said the SKS was fired at the bear.

The encounter started when one of the three men was surprised by the bear that came up behind him as he was fishing. He had a shotgun, but he could not recall if he had chambered a shell, and not wanting to hear that loud CLICK instead of a Boom, he threw the shotgun at the bear, yelled, and dove under water. His two friends, hearing the yell, turned and only saw the bear, so they opened fire.

I grew up around those three guys, knew them from church.

Back