35 grains of triple 7?

Something that everyone seems to be missing is that the OP is planning to load a revolver with a relatively short cylinder & chambers. Before he gets too far, he's gonna run outta room in each chamber and still be able to fit a ball in there. Revolvers are not like a single shot muzzleloaders which can be loaded with an unreasonable amount of powder until the whole barrel is full. T7 may be slightly more compressible than BP, but, I'd be surprised if you can actually "overload" a cap & ball cylinder with enough BP (or substitute) to do any real damage.

There wouldn't be a problem with the safety of the cylinder, only possibly some additional wear & tear on the action parts.

Higher powder charges may cause the hammer to blow back and reset.
That will let you know that the chambers were over-loaded beyond normal limits.

Also, under some circumstances the sharper recoil of 777 could cause some balls to creep forward in the chamber,
or some caps to come off the nipples which could lead to a chain fire.

But 35 grains of 777 doesn't sound like an excessive powder charge.

Hmm . . . hammer blow back to that extent would lead me to believe I need new nipples. Too large of an orifice.
When I shot Blackpowder, all I shot for the last few years was trip7 . . . full charges . . . in Armys, Navys and Walkers/Dragoons!! Some folks just over think things . . .

Mike

Back