338 Win Mag versus 300 Win Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
When loaded with heavy 200-220 gr bullets the 300 will perform just as well if not better than the 338 mags. on larger game. There have been several tests documenting this from gun writers, and guides in both Africa and Alaska. The 338's, work, just not any better on really large game.

The 300's advantage is versatility. When loaded with lighter bullets it has much less recoil and flat trajectory for deer sized game. Loaded with heavier bullets it will match any of the 338's or 35's on larger game at closer ranges. The next real step up in performance over the 300's are the 375's

If one is going to compare two cartridges of different calibers, it helps to compare apples to apples. Comparing the .338 at the light end of its bullet weight to the 300WM at the heavy end, then saying there is not a meaningful difference in trajectory, is not really accurate.

My 200gr Accubond 300WM load is 2950fps; zeroes at 100 yards there is 9 inches of drop at 300 yards. Even with a 225gr bullet your .338 is dropping 15.1 inches; with a 250gr bullet it will likely be even more. That's a pretty significant difference.

Good evening Spaniel,

On apples to apples, I agree that a 200 grain is in the heavier end of the spectrum for the 300wm but going by Federals charts there 300wm 200grn bullet drops 15.2" at 300 yards vs a 250grn 338 bullet, of similar profile and bc, dropping 15" at 300 yards - assuming you are zero sighted at 100 yards which to me kind of defeats the purpose of both of these cartridges.

Apples to apples would also include Accubond to accubond or Swift AFrame to Swift AFrame. Higher bc bullets do drop less so I would offer that it is relevent that the bullets compared should not only be heavy for caliber but also of similar construction and bc. As well, standard factory load to standard factory load as again anyone who handloads can heat up a load to get a given velocity and that is not same - same.

This is right off the federal website with a 250 338 and a 200 300 of similar bc at 100, 200 and 300 yards respectively.

P338B2
338 Win. Magnum -0.1 -4.2 -15.0

P300WT1
300 Win. Magnum -0.1 -4.2 -15.2

I have no reason to doubt what you claim only it's not apples and apples. Sighted in at 200 yards there isn't 3" difference in drop at 500 yards. I don't consider that significantly flatter (even though it's the 338 with the larger, heavier bullet dropping less).

Although again, from my experience, a well placed 338wm will kill about the same as a well placed 300wm or other fast 30. The main difference will likely be greater penetration with the 338 due to the heavier weight of the 338 bullet and higher sectional density.

270 is as good for anything as the 300, 300 just does not get you much over 270 or 30-06. 270 is good for Elk and moose. Occasional for larger game t there is no significant upside to more than 270 (grizzly yes)

338 if you really need a rifle for a lot of serious game (moose, grizzly). Casual no.

If you really are serious about lone grizzly hunt then the 375 is the better choice though more have been taken with 30-06 than all the rest combined. No one had magnums up here back in the day and everyone had 30-06 and vast majority were shot with that gun. Literally into the many thousands. Low level hunt now with exotic magnum guns and calibers is peanuts compared to the early days. My step dads father took 5 of them keeping them away from his mining claim and cabin. That was the norm not the exception. They came close you shot them. Zero tolerance.

A lot of people that shoot grizzly up here use 338 as they are backed up by a guide with a 375. Also minimum caliber required for Buffalo.

Really depends on how much and how often. If not much stick with the 270.
If you get into a moose hunt then the biggest grain you can get (165 these days). Just make sure its a penetrating round. Shot placement and the right bullet beats caliber any day of the week (Speer Deep Curl is a great one)

My opinion is that we did not know we were so caliber deficient until they came out with those exotic calibers and advertisements to go with them

Lewis and Clark went across the US with a number of encounters with Grizzly with muzzle loaders. Not always pretty but they killed them. Some were done with an air rifle. By that standard a 270 or 30-06 is like a 20mm cannon.

Last edited:
Looking for a versatile round and am comparing 338 Win Mag versus 300 Win Mag. Your thoughts and recommendations?

I do indeed have thoughts and recommendations. Most importantly, you're asking the wrong QUESTION, as far as I'm concerned. Though those aren't bad rounds, they're inefficient and have a silly belt. You don't need a magnum for bigger game; you need a bigger bullet in an efficient case (and possibly a premium bullet if not going too big) - one of these chamberings

.30-'06 or .30-'06 AI (with premium bonded 180s or non-premium 220s)
.338-'06 A-square
.35 Whelen
9.3x62mm

.375 HH Mag (OK, it has a belt, too - I know)

The two bolded ones are likely your best bet but it depends upon what all species you want to cover, which is? If limited to North America, run with 338-'06 or .35 Whelen (or even plain old .30-'06). This would be ideal for coastal brownies, polar bear, bison, and yak. If you want to cover African game like zebra, eland, then 9.3x62 or .375 HH mag are where it's at (although .338-06 or .35 Whelen would work just fine). If you want to cover African DG, then it's .375 HH or bigger (.404 Jeffrey, some .416, some .458, etc.).

You'd be hardpressed to beat a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 to cover all of the largest North American critters and the largest African critters except ungulate DGs (it would still easily cover the cat DGs). Handy 20" bbl, beautiful stock, very nice iron sights, controlled feed.

Beyond that, don't forget the .45-70 & .444 Marlin as possible options. Or I suppose, possibly even the .348 Win, .356 Win, or .375 Win, particularly if you want a levergun. Since these are a bit on the low-powered side, I'd run with the .375 win to get the bigger bullet, among them.

Last edited:
Because the person asking the question wasn't interested in hearing about the .308 (not trying to be a smart a$*). They've already got a 270. Though the 270 is more light and fast and the .308 is slower and heavier, they both are considered "standard" calibers. They are very similar energetically speaking. They aren't after the most efficient or practical round because they already have an efficient and practical round. The person asking is looking to step up a notch from a standard caliber

Your 270 is a great choice. It will do anything the 300 will. If you HAVE to go big, then the 338 is where I would start. The 338 makes a great big bear caliber. Any deer species will be taken care of with the 270.

My 2 cents

IMO the .338 is superior to the .300. I have both. .338 in a M70 and .300 in a M700. The .300 is a great round but for long range accuracy, the .338 has it beat hands down. Recoil is a bit stiffer with the .338, but worth the extra push. I have seen whitetail hit with both cartridges. The .300 blows a huge hole in them , while the .338 kinda throws them through the air. For big dangerous game, my choice would be the .338.

I agree that any deer species can be cleanly taken with the .270 but...common guys. Are you seriously trying to convince a fellow shooter, hunter, and enjoyer of firearms NOT to get the new gun?!?!?!? Most of us are trying to find an excuse to JUSTIFY making such a decision they have an excuse! I have a .270 and a .300 mag and I love both of them and don't regret a penny or a second I have spent enjoying both of these rifles. I have to politely but firmly refute that statement that keeps popping up "the .270 can do anything the .300 can". No it can't. If your waiting for perfect broadside shots every time then yes, maybe. But in the field you are not always graced with such a shot, and there are many potential scenarios I can think of in which I would refrain from pulling he trigger on my 270 and wouldn't think twice about if I was behind my .300. The benefits are even greater for a reloader; much factory .300 wm ammo is quite anemic and I don't know why (though I suspect it's because the .300 wm running at full potential make those short mags seem a bit less magical). Get the .300! I don't regret my choice and neither will you.

I agree that any deer species can be cleanly taken with the .270 but...common guys. Are you seriously trying to convince a fellow shooter, hunter, and enjoyer of firearms NOT to get the new gun?!?!?!? Most of us are trying to find an excuse to JUSTIFY making such a decision they have an excuse!

Finally! Some common sense to add to this discussion. :D

160 grains is very long/heavy for .270.... so 180 gr .270? C'mon...I'm sure someone makes it but that doesn't mean the rifling will stabilize it or it will feed through the mag, or that anyone would even know where to order such a beast. And SD is a very large factor in penetration to be sure, but it's not the only one. Sheer bullet weight is a large factor too, as well as bullet construction relative to speed.

I don't understand the dislike of belted cases. OK, the belt was meant to act as a rim in the old .375 H&H, and now all the rounds based on that classic retain the belt. But we set our dies to headspace on the shoulder. So it serves no purpose, but neither does it hurt anything (unless your headspace is excessive). When I bought a .338 WM, I looked real hard at the .338-06, .35 Whelen, and 9.3x62. These are great rounds; I think I still want that big Mauser. But here's what it came to. I can back the Win Mag off to .338-06 levels, so why give up the extra juice? The Whelen sends those nice heavy bullets, but the same weight .357 has a lower BC than the .338, and again, I get a little (not much) more juice. The 9.3x62, boy I still like that one. Fewer rifles available here in the US, though. Ammo more of a problem unless you roll your own, which of course you should. I like my .338 WM - lots of thump and lots of range (more than I can use). But I do need to share this. When I lived out west (SE Idaho), more folks carried .300 Win Mags than just about anything. Does that make it the best choice? For you? That I can't say. Man, now I gotta Google CZ and see if they still sell a 9.3x62 here. See what you started!

In my opinion, the .300 WM is 'just' a fast .30. It has it's place, basically doing all of the .30-06 stuff a bit farther out. I don't own one, but that is probably because I have a nice .30-06 and don't see the need.

On the other hand. the .338WM is in a different class. Better for bigger, heavier stuff at about the same distances if you can shoot well. I have one of these.

If I had a .270 and was looking for something bigger, I would buy a .338.

SR

Same here, south ridge. I've got a couple of 30-06s, a .308 and a .358 Winchester. My .338 Magnum filled the gaping "gap" in my inventory. I'm always looking diligently for a gap or two...:)

My boss takes down a bear in Maine every year with Ross Lake Camps outfitters. Two were over 300 lbs. He hunts with a Marlin lever action carbine in 35 Remington and reports quick kills without exception. I feel that the middle bores have been overlooked and ignored by majority of North American hunters.

If I needed a really hard hitting rifle, I'd buy a 35 Whelen and keep my shots within 250 yards or so. 338 magnum is too tough on the shoulder to suit me.

Jack

dgludwig - I hear you. I've even been known to make up a few gaps that don't really exist...

I bought my .338 because I thought I was going on a Vancouver Island bear hunt (that vaporized), and I also needed an excuse to buy one of the FN-produced Model 70s.

If we only bought the guns we needed, we could all get by with about 4. But I have a lot more than 4...

What South Ridge said about getting a 338WM. 300WM is just a faster 300, but a 338 is a step up in caliber vs powder burned.

I bought a 338 for moose in Maine, and while there is no reason that you need a 338 bullet for moose in Maine, it has been there, and I don't know if the moose know the difference, but they aren't complaining.

resurrecting this thread....cause it is just a good one.....

I read that a couple of writers like the 338-06.

What about sticking with an ole '06, reloading with the 220 grain pills?????

Sure, not good out to 500 yards, but the old aught six with 220's seems like a decent option.

I'd take a 338 any day before any 300 magnum. I'd even take the 270!

I shot a 900 pound Elk in AZ with a 338 and 250 grain Sierra bullet. It was quartering away and the bullet went in at the left hind quarter and exited the right shoulder area, penetrated 4 feet of Elk and left a nice inch wound channel without ruining any meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back