338 Win Mag versus 300 Win Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick1

I already have a 270 for small game and am looking for a big game rifle next. Looking for a versatile round and am comparing 338 Win Mag versus 300 Win Mag. Your thoughts and recommendations?

Unless you're chasing big bears on a regular basis the .300 Win Mag will do everything you need. If you're chasing big bears on a regular basis the .300 Win Mag will do everything you need. The .338 Win Mag is never a bad choice as well, just a bit more recoil to deal with.

Last edited:
Larger bullets for larger animals.
Faster bullets for the same game-- farther away.

A 300 magnum is basically a 30-06 with an extra 80 to 110 yards.

A 338 is in a different league. Larger diameter heavier bullet than the 300. Not as flat shooting, but harder hitting, and with the ability to make a larger wound channel.

I have owned some 338s and I liked them. But I find I like my 375H&H better so I sold the 338s. Nothing wrong with them mind you. My favorite one was my 338-06, not my 338 Magnums. I found the 338-06 killed as well as the 300 magnum but lacked as much range. The 338 Mag with proper bullets was a bit better than either, but not as good as the 375.

No bad choices here. Just get the one you like the best.

I have a .300 win mag and I love it. And like you the next smallest caliber I have is a .270. The .300 will shoot quite a bit flatter than the .338. When you compare load data and factory ammo for both you see that they are actually about the same as far as kinetic energy goes, despite the .338s larger bullet. The .300 win mag case holds a bit more powder as the shoulder is pushed forward more. Also an important consideration is that .300 win mag ammo is quite a bit cheaper than .338. I give the .300 win mag my vote for most versatile North American hunting round.

Also I like what wyosmith is saying about 375s...if I were in the market and had the budget for a newer, bigger gun, I wouldn't mess around with the .338...if i honestly felt that a 30 caliber magnum cartridge was insufficient for the hunt I'd step all the way up to the .375, either h&h or the newer ruger cartridge

Don't underestimate your .270 it's a big game cartridge, Capable of doing everything the .30-06 can do but flatter with less recoil. .300 win mag isn't much of a step up, and there are even some factory loads in .270 which, at long range, will deliver more energy to the target.

150 grain bullets in .277 are roughly the equivalent to 181 grain .308 cal bullets in sectional density. The lighter bullet is capable of being pushed faster, though. There are heavier bullets available for the .270 if you need the sectional density, but most of the time you shouldn't need more than the standard 150 grain bullet.

Personally, I'd stick with the .270 if the 300WM is a consideration, otherwise if I want to make a 'step up' in power, I'd go .338 or even .375 as they will give a more significant and noticeable gain.

Last edited:
Two good cartridges, but to me it is more your needs, wants and application rather than a versus.

300wm, to me is the top of the small bores along with it's speedy cousins the 300 weatherby, the 300RUM, the 300 Ruger, the 300H&H, and the 300 Dakota. A little bit flatter shooting than a 3006 or a 338wm.

I'm of the school that all one needs is a 3006 for anything in North America, based on that premise any of the fast 30's are fine. From my experience the 300wm's recoil is about the same as the 338wm. I have also found the fast 30's tend to bloodshot meat more. If I was getting a fast 30 I would lean toward a win mag or a RUM due to the generous case capacity and the flexibility that allows when handloading. Think 200 to 230 grain bullets out of a fast 30.

The 338wm is like the F150 of the medium bore world. Pretty good all arounder and out to 500 yards I would not give the fast 30's and edge over the 338wm. A 250 grain bullet in .338 has a very good BC and SD. That is, it flies well and penetrates well. Having shot both a fair amount I cant really tell much of a difference in recoil between a fast 30 and my 338wm.

To be honest I have not seen a meaningful difference in ability to kill from 308, 3006, fast 30's, 7mmrm, 338wm, 375H&H. From my observation it has come down more to where the shot was placed than the diameter of the bullet. I first noticed a difference when the diameter starts with a 4, as in 416Rigby and 458wm. With these I have seen a noticeable difference in how the critters have gone down.

If you are wanting to go bigger, go to a medium bore and get a 338wm. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
The .300 will shoot quite a bit flatter than the .338.

There may be a few reasons to choose the .300 Winchester Magnum over the .338 Winchester Magnum but being "quite a bit flatter" isn't one of them. When using similar weight and configured bullets, the .338 is pretty much the practical equivalent of the .300 in terms of trajectory and, in some cases, can be seen to be the slightly flatter round. To cite an example, the Federal ammunition catalog reports the .300 Magnum with a 200 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet, when sighted-in (zeroed) @ 100 yards, drops 4.2" by the time it reaches 200 yards and 15.2" @ 300 yards. The .338, using the identical but even heavier bullet (225 grains), when zeroed at the same distance of 100 yards, drops 4.1" @ 200 yards and 15.1" @ 300 yards.

There just isn't much practical difference in terms of trajectory between these two fine, proven rounds to base a decision on. As mentioned, other factors (cost, recoil, availability, etc.) seem more relevant when or if important to the individual buyer.

I didn't have 200 grain bullet in mind when talking about the 300's superior trajectory. A toughly constructed bullet with a high bc (ttsx, accubond, interbond) around 165 grains running 3200 fps is not rivalled by any .338 win mag loading...any .338 win mag loading approaching that velocity will be with an ultra-light for caliber bullet sporting a vastly inferior ballistic coefficient.

Sorry, Roadkill2228, I'm not a mind-reader and I was simply responding to your blanket claim that "the .300 will shoot quite a bit flatter than the .338". And, whereas the .300 may offer more advantages than the .338 when using bullets weighing 180 grains and under in terms of a superior trajectory, there aren't many factory-loaded .300 cartridges having 200 grain bullets and up-a range of bullet weights (from 200 thru 250), where the .338 cartridge comes into its own.

No need to apologize for anything. I hear what your saying about bullet weights and indeed agree that if you want to shoot heavies the .338 is the way to go. My line of reasoning is that with bullets of tough construction the .300 can probably kill anything that the .338 can while also offering the prospect of less drop with longer range shots on smaller to medium game, hence my opinion being that the 300 is the most versatile. As taylorforce observes though, if you're after something that just might be after YOU then the .338 makes for much better "insurance" than the .300.

I think that the 338 loaded with 225 or 250 grain bullets is the ultimate 250-300 yard elk, bear and moose cartridge. It is a bone breaker. If that's what you are after and you reload, buy one.

Last edited:
No worries, Roadkill. The only point I was trying to make is that many people don't realize just how "flat-shooting" the .338 Magnum is (as well as the .375 H&H for that matter) when using heavier bullets. I agree that the .300 Magnum is arguably the most versitile "magnum" designated cartridge for all of North American hunting (though I would rather have a 7mm Magnum and a .338 Magnum to cover all the bases "efficiently"). But if could only have one cartridge to use for everything from whitetails to moose, it might well be my Ruger MKII rifle, chambered in 7x64 Brenneke. :)

And a hearty welcome to The Firing Line, Roadkill! I've enjoyed reading your insights and it's clear to me that you have a lot to offer the membership.

Back 40 years ago I wanted to go for Brown Bear and wanted a flat shooter for the Long range shots 400-700 Yds. Since my 30-30 wasn't doing it. I picked up a 300 Wby. tuned it up and went for Brown bear. No Bear shot but I did shoot a Caribou in the hind quarter. That 300 Wby. split the hind quarters in two and came out the front shoulder. I lost a lot of meet on em. I have never since seen a more destructive shot on that size game. I ended up trading that head whippier for a 308 Win. That's all I needed. Eventually I bought a Browning Mod.81 in 358 Win. Just in case I ever wanted some thing larger. That 200gr. slug will easily take a Elk. at 200> Yds. I don't know what you are hunting for or why you would want to beat up your shoulder. Shot placement is where it's at.

There may be a few reasons to choose the .300 Winchester Magnum over the .338 Winchester Magnum but being "quite a bit flatter" isn't one of them. When using similar weight and configured bullets, the .338 is pretty much the practical equivalent of the .300 in terms of trajectory and, in some cases, can be seen to be the slightly flatter round. To cite an example, the Federal ammunition catalog reports the .300 Magnum with a 200 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet, when sighted-in (zeroed) @ 100 yards, drops 4.2" by the time it reaches 200 yards and 15.2" @ 300 yards. The .338, using the identical but even heavier bullet (225 grains), when zeroed at the same distance of 100 yards, drops 4.1" @ 200 yards and 15.1" @ 300 yards.

There just isn't much practical difference in terms of trajectory between these two fine, proven rounds to base a decision on. As mentioned, other factors (cost, recoil, availability, etc.) seem more relevant when or if important to the individual buyer.

If one is going to compare two cartridges of different calibers, it helps to compare apples to apples. Comparing the .338 at the light end of its bullet weight to the 300WM at the heavy end, then saying there is not a meaningful difference in trajectory, is not really accurate.

My 200gr Accubond 300WM load is 2950fps; zeroes at 100 yards there is 9 inches of drop at 300 yards. Even with a 225gr bullet your .338 is dropping 15.1 inches; with a 250gr bullet it will likely be even more. That's a pretty significant difference.

Likewise, the comparison earlier claiming the 270Win and 300WM were in the same class using a 165gr bullet for the 300WM...they sell those, but you're really not using the cartridge to its potential until you get to 180gr. There is a substantial difference in performance in the field between the two, they are certainly not equivalent chamberings.

As for the OP, plenty of people hunt elk with the 270. I've seen video of a friend taking a moose at 400 yards with one...marginal but with a follow-up it got the job done (a 300WM would have done it in one). Define what big game you are hunting. If it is not bear, and you are not shooting game over 400 yards, your 270 is just fine. A 300WM will extend your range and take you into bear.

People have magnum-itus these days. A few years ago I saw a hunting show on TV that said the 300WM was the smallest acceptable cartridge for whitetail deer. I shoot my 300WM more than any other rifle but for deer within 400 yards I'd choose a smaller option. It's overkill.

My 200gr Accubond 300WM load is 2950fps; zeroes at 100 yards there is 9 inches of drop at 300 yards. Even with a 225gr bullet your .338 is dropping 15.1 inches; with a 250gr bullet it will likely be even more. That's a pretty significant difference.

You said "it helps to compare apples to apples"-not seeing that here. On the other hand, my "comparison" involved the very same bullets (Trophy Bonded Bear Claws) and in disparate weights that would seem to favor the .300 Magnum in terms of trajectory performance. I only responded to a generalized claim that "the .300 will shoot quite a bit flatter than the .338". My only caveat is that it won't and doesn't in heavier bullet weights. If you think that the .300 Magnum is equivalent to the .338 Magnum in terms of trajectories (the topic at hand) when shooting bullets of 200 grains or heavier (the only point I tried to make) please provide the evidence. I am all ears.

Ha! They actually said that the .300 was a minimal deer round? I live in nipawin, saskatchewan (canada) and I read in some of the American hunting magazines about our "monster saskatchewan bucks" and yeah they can get pretty big but seriously...a .300 magnum? People where I live take those "monsters" all the time with .30-30s and .243s. And sometimes there's seemingly no rhyme or reason to how fast an animal goes down after a good hit. I've literally made the exact same shot on basically same size animal at about the same range and had one run 200 yards through deep snow and the other drop on the spot, try to get up again unsuccessfully and then expire without further ado. My deer cartridge is a .270 winchester, both animals were average bodied 4x4 whitetail, both were shot through the front shoulder with the bullet going right through the heart and stopping on the other side. Shots both times (and nearly all the time for me) was just under 200 yards. As I said, one piled up, te other ran like a psycho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back