338 Lapua vs. 7mm rem mag?

That definitely looks like a shooter!

And fwiw, a new barrel will run you less than $400 typically... The cost for rounds that it takes to shoot out a barrel will normally be at least twice that.

But barrel life is a reason that I like my .308 ;)

Barrel life does not really concern me. The .264 Win mag. is a "notorious barrel burner." Mine went above 3/4 MOA at about 1200 rounds. I re-barreled with a Lilja. I paid about $575 for it and smith work.

Current state

I decided to go with the 7mm Sendero. I have to wait about a week for the CO. background check.

I'm confident I'm going to love it.

You definitely picked a nice rifle! Remington's "SuperCell" recoil pad is very nice (in my opinion), but if recoil is a little much you can still add a Limbsaver.

Do you have a scope for it?

Bart, I can not tell the difference in my .300 Win mag with brake and my .338 Lapua with brake. They both recoil something about like a .243 Win. The only difference is the Lapua is a bit louder and knocks off hats beside me. On my shoulder, they both feel the same. I am sure the Lapua would be a bruiser without the brake, but I have no desire to pull the trigger on it with the brake off and find out.

pbcaster45, that 3-shot group at 200 yards looks like it's a little bigger than an inch. Right? That's good for a factory rifle.

I'd like to see how 10 shots do with it

reynolds357, I'm not referring to recoil after the bullet's left the muzzle and the brake deflects gasses to subdue felt recoil when that happens.

Bart, I have to tell the truth. It may look like a Remington Sendero but it's really a custom build by Mike Bryant. Stiller TAC 300 Action, Rock Creek barrel, Badger Ordnance trigger guard, Timney Trigger, all glass bedded to a McMillan Remington Hunter stock. It wasn't cheap - but it sure does shoot!

The 3-shot group at 200 yards was .672 center-to-center. Lucky for me it was dead still - too dumb to get wind flags (soon!)

The load:

Bullet: Nosler 160 gr. AccuBond
Powder: Alliant Reloader 25 69.0 grs.
Primer: Federal 215
Case: Federal Once Fired
LOAL: 3.323 (2.758 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point)
Average Velocity: 2995.40 fps
ES: 19.98
SD: 8.42

When I picked it up from the gunsmith and shot my first three shot group I nearly fell out of my chair...

MikeBryant7mmRemingtonMagnum.jpg

That's at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Nastiest gun I have shot is the 7mm. don't get me wrong, it is pretty amazing, but it was far worse than the 375 H&H or the 338 WM.

Effective recoil pad is a must for more than typical hunting situation (a few shots to confirm zero, one shot for the Elk (Colorado, moose or caribou in AK)

My brother got a limb save on his and it tamed it.

And don't get me wrong, I think long range shooting would be a lot of fun.

I just don't see it has a SHTF need. If that would occur, then everyone who has it will be carrying a gun rural Colorado or anywhere in AK!).

At that point you have to determine "bad intent" vs someone just going about their legitimate business. My take is that occurs at 100 yds or under pretty much where you can start to figure that out.

Even a guy with tatoes and pieced ears could well be an ally not an enemy. Only if they are aggressive do they get shot.

@allaroundhunter

Don't have a scope for it yet. I will , for the time being, use my 3-9x40 Zeiss. Will start having bake sales, garage sales and saving my pennies for the scope I want.

@RC20... would it be possible to pretend I never said anything at all about SHTF? Please? That would be great. I want a long-range rifle just because I want one. I hope that's ok. :)

Sportsman's called. The CO background check has gone back to one day. It's ready to be picked up tomorrow!!!!! Wooo hooo.

Sportsman's called. The CO background check has gone back to one day. It's ready to be picked up tomorrow!!!!!

That's great! And for general work, that scope can work for out to 500 yards (or more). If you ever plan on reloading (not a bad idea), or just think that you might in the future, hold on to all of your brass. Even if you never get around to it, you can sell the brass to someone who does.

pbcaster45, if that 3-shot group's .388 center-to-center, what's the unit of measurement?

.388 inch? The holes are too tiny for that to be the result with 28 caliber bullets.

.388 MOA? Then it's about right.

If that rifle always shoots 3-shot groups with that load no worse than that, then it's a .338 MOA rifle. If not, then it's a bigger on in MOA's one can count on. There's only about a 20% confidence of repeatability size wise for a 3 shot group. Claiming rifle accuracy based on a single 3-shot group's not gonna win very many bets. But that one's in the size range of being very good.

@allaroundhunter:

Been saving any brass I shoot since I started shooting. Have dies, powder, primers and bullets for 7mm rem mag. I have done some 270 in the past, but got lazy. Time to get busy again.

I will be reloading.

thanks for everybody's input.

Pat

Interesting thread!

I have always envied those who are capable of making the most of these powerful long-range cartridges. To me, a. 308 is probably the most I'd ever be able to capably handle, and even with that I don't think I will ever have the chance to practice enough to use it at its greatest range.

Bart, after you pointed that out I think I may have measured center-to-center and subtracted .284 out of habit! Which means it was actually .672!

D'Oh!

Back