.32 Seecamp Ammo Issue NEED HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wouldnt seek advice from law enforcement on the legality of the Lehigh bullets. If you cant afford to consult a lawyer on that then just best to avoid them all together.

I have a Seecamp in 32. It shoots lots of ammo, including some FMJ. It does want a COAL shorter than SAAMI-max in order to fit the magazine and feed well.

HP ammo is utterly pointless in a Seecamp .32 autopistol, and the reason is very simple:
It won't expand. See here for some results:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#32ACP
Note that the small gun is a Kel-Tec, which has a longer barrel than a Seecamp. Seecamp owners and other testers have found noticeably less expansion from HP ammo than what LuckyGunner shows with their Kel-Tec in that testing.

My own opinion and suggestion is to find some FMJ that will feed through your gun and use that.

DO NOT USE HIGH-PRESSURE AMMO IN A SEECAMP, at least not if you're a volume shooter. They have failed from being beat up by high-pressure stuff. Stick with standard-pressure ammo.

welcome to TFL

I have a Gorgeous .32 LW Seecamp that was my late fathers. It is relief engraved and stunning and I would LOVE to carry it on a daily basis.

IF the gun has any emotional value to you, I would advise against carrying it, daily or other wise.

Besides the wear on the finish that will inevitably result, the biggest reason not to carry a gun with irreplaceable emotional value is the risk you will lose it. And I don't mean, "it fell into the swamp and sank out of sight", I mean that if you ever have to use it defensively, the police WILL TAKE IT.

It is evidence, and stays evidence, until ALL legal matters involved are concluded. This might be a matter of days, or weeks, but could be months or even years, depending on the specific involved. And the police are not noted for taking good care of guns in "evidence". Rust, finish, and even mechanical damage are not unknown, and in some instances, not terribly uncommon.

Additionally, there is a risk that even with you completely exonerated and all legal proceedings completed, you still may never see that gun again. There are /have been places where the authorities simply will not return your gun, and may even destroy it, and cut you a check for their idea of its value.

I'm not in NJ, and in no position to offer any advice about their laws, get an actual NJ lawyer for that. Do not take any legal advice from any cop as valid or correct. They may (or may not) give you what they believe to be an honest answer, but it's not their area of expertise, and there is no legal requirement for them to provide you valid information. Its not their job.

And saying "a cop told me it was legal" is not a very good defense.
If it is any defense at all...

Originally posted by 44 AMP
IF the gun has any emotional value to you, I would advise against carrying it, daily or other wise.

Besides the wear on the finish that will inevitably result, the biggest reason not to carry a gun with irreplaceable emotional value is the risk you will lose it. And I don't mean, "it fell into the swamp and sank out of sight", I mean that if you ever have to use it defensively, the police WILL TAKE IT.

It is evidence, and stays evidence, until ALL legal matters involved are concluded. This might be a matter of days, or weeks, but could be months or even years, depending on the specific involved. And the police are not noted for taking good care of guns in "evidence". Rust, finish, and even mechanical damage are not unknown, and in some instances, not terribly uncommon.

Additionally, there is a risk that even with you completely exonerated and all legal proceedings completed, you still may never see that gun again. There are /have been places where the authorities simply will not return your gun, and may even destroy it, and cut you a check for their idea of its value.

This is excellent advice which I concur with completely. I have several handguns myself that, while excellent guns that would be well-suited to carry, I use only for range and collecting purposes because they are rare/expensive enough that they'd be very difficult to replace or because they have sentimental value (family heirlooms, gifts from close friends/family, etc.) that cannot be replaced at any price. The advice that I generally give is, unless you have no other option, don't carry any gun that you can't replace easily and affordably.

The first step in Seecamp trouble shooting is the recoil spring. My 380 manual says replacement at 200 rounds and 32 is permanent. They're around 10 bucks.

Oh, I also seem to recall a cartridge length gauge you can buy to vet ammo.

Apparently the OP, USAFUNDING" doesn't really "NEED HELP" since he hasn't logged in since the very minute he posted this thread. So it seems taking any more time to answer his question is a wasted effort.

If he does want to revisit this thread he can PM me to re-open it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back