.32 caliber "defensive" revolver....

I was pointing out that the .327 is better than pocket automatics in many cases, and that it is also powerful compared to a standard .38.

I was saying that a powerful .32caliber revolver is a good ideA.

briandg, you are right that it's a good idea. The LCR is a little fatter than some pocket autos but there are advantages. As you said, it does "grind the .380 into dust". I also wouldn't bother comparing it to .38 special. To better illustrate a point you made earlier, consider that Speer has a 115-grain Gold Dot in both 9mm and .327 Federal. So you've got the same weight and general bullet construction. The .327 is traveling faster and has greater sectional density. It's a hot little round that's pretty much between 9mm +p and .357 magnum in terms of power.

I can tell you from personal experience that the felt recoil is comparable to .38 +p and the flash/report is comparable to .357 magnum. I love the concept of a small-framed six-shooter and I love this round. It's not for everyone but I do recommend everyone try it to find out.

I understand the point about the sectional density, and was going to bring it up myself. The main reason you want a good sd is to enhance penetration. Since plenty of nine ammo can already reach full penetration, the boost in performance is probably significant, even using 100 grain, but it still seems kind of moot since plenty of other rounds can do as well.

This cartridge is about tradeoffs. Getting that nice, low profile, very powerful revolver means no +p 147 or 158 grain hollow points, but it gives you a small revolver that is good on its own merits.

A duty sized revolver with heavier bullets and loads will do more damage, but again, that's not the point. As you said, it has its advantages in some areas, but I really don't see the cartridge itself as being a sacrifice.

Again, even with the reported shockwave from that thing, which must be pretty bodacious, I'd use it. A guy I know bought a Smith compact .357. If he can use that sucker, I think that most people can deal with this.

heck, I was even impressed when they brought out the hr.

Back