.32 caliber "defensive" revolver....

JERRYS.

this is NOT meant for the single actions, top breaks and the like.

im interested in hearing from folks that do, did, or know someone that has...... carried a .32 revolver for self defense. the reason(s) why such was done..... guns like the S&W model 30/31, Taurus .32 s&w Long, the latest LCR..... etc.

thanks.

and of course pix are always welcome.

.327 federal magnum is making a slight comeback thanks to Rugers LCR, Single-seven, and the sp101. You can normally get an extra chamber on firearms that would normally have less like the Sp101: has 5 rounds of 357 mag vs 6 rounds of 327 fed. You can also shoot a variety of .32 caliber ammo through it other than .327.

I don't have any firearms at the moment in .327 but I do have an Sp101 in .357 mag and it carries fine, a bit heavier than my single stack 9mm's though. I wouldnt feel undergunned at all though with a .327 on my hip. ;)

that's it. 6 shots of centerfire in a "J" frame sized gun. sp101, LCR, model 31 and the similar Taurus guns.... I would love to hear about them from actual owners.

Siggy-06 said:
.327 federal magnum is making a slight comeback thanks to Rugers LCR, Single-seven, and the sp101.
Seems awkward to say that a cartridge introduced only 8 years ago is "making a comeback". :rolleyes:

I own one of the SP101s in .327 Federal with the 3" barrels and do choose to carry it on a daily basis over my 2 1/8" .357 in the same make and model.
I simply shoot it more accurately than I do it's sister in .357 and who could argue with one more round in the cylinder?

My .357 is the spurless hammer model and my .327 has the spurred hammer. I'm not suggesting that anyone else do the same, but I've swapped the hammers to have the spurless in the .327 which is better suited to carrying in my opinion. I do sometimes change up my carry piece for one better suited to certain attire but very seldom, and I doubt I'll ever call any other firearm my 'daily carry'.
I love my '.32'. :cool:

In pocket guns I have 2 S&W model 31s. One has a 2" barrel and the other a 3" barrel. Both are in 32 long. I reload for that and 32 mag and my 32 long rounds are getting 850fps from the 2" barrel with a 94gr lead bullet. My guns are newer made and I am not regulated to loads suitable for old top break guns.

I also have a 431PD in 32 mag. I am completely sold on this gun. It weighs 15oz loaded with 85gr hollow points. These loads are getting over 1300fps from a 5.5" ruger single six. I am not sure what they are doing from the 2" barrel but I would guess well over a 1000fps. I have no plans to buy a 327. The 32 mag will do every thing I want to do with a 32 caliber handgun. If I get a chance I will post a picture or two. OK I think I have pictures. I also am showing a couple of the holsters I made. They are crude but I am just learning to make them. These are not great pics but I don't have a great camera or proper lighting.

Attachments

• MVC-001S (2).JPG
    MVC-001S (2).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 128
  • MVC-002S (2).JPG
    MVC-002S (2).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 105
  • MVC-004S (2).JPG
    MVC-004S (2).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I have carried a Smith model 30-1 or model 632 and feel adequately armed with either. The .32 long model 30 is on the bottom end of what I will carry for defense purposes, but the Federal JHP load seems adequate to the job. The 632 is loaded with either semi-jacketed soft point .32 H&R magnum loads or .327 Federal Magnum. I certainly don't feel under-gunned with either one. The .327 Fed is a loud and flashy load, though, and so I would probably not use it for home defense. I also hand-load for each caliber so I have range fodder and really enjoy shooting these as well as my Single Seven at the range. I often let others, particularly beginners, try them out and they are usually impressed at the easy handling even out of a smaller frame gun. I think they are great training tools as well as credible defense weapons.

I ask specifically because my daughter is home alone sometimes during the day and she has two choices, a 5 shot .38spl or an 8 shot .22lr.

she shoots the .38 just fine with target wad cutters, but its "only" a 5 shooter. the extra shot of a .32 is a little more comforting, and better that the .22lr rim fire.

id trade her LCR .22lr for the same gun in .32 if I could find a used one...

hand strength is not the only concern; hand size matter quite a bit too.

Gunbroker usually has several S&W 32s for sale. Buy the newer guns made in the 70s like the ones I posted pics of and you can load them to bottom end 32 mag pressures. And for HD you don't need a snub nosed gun. There is nothing wrong with a 4" barreled 38 that holds 6 shots. I would recommend that over any snubby.

I just bought a 4" GP-100 and it is a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- cat with my hotter wadcutter loads. And the trigger pull isn't bad either. And all J-frames are coil spring powered and are a little stiffer than a flat spring powered gun. It almost sounds like a S&W model 10 with a heavy barrel would serve you better.

You mentioned hand size. The world is full of grips for the K-frame S&W. It should be no problem for your daughter to find a model 10 that fits her hand.

And don't overlook some of the fixed sight Taurus 38s that are the same size as a model 10. Like the model 80-82. They still won't have the trigger found on a S&W but they are real close.

the trigger reach from the back strap while maintaining proper alignment is the issue. the J frame size guns don't present this problem.

Here are my baby's.
left side
Ruger Single 7 327 mag
Middle SP101 327 mag.
Bottom Taurus M327 in 327 mag.

Other 32's are on the right.
Smith a Wesson hand ejector in 32-20
Middle
Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20.

100_9941_zpso0mcty3l.jpg

im interested in hearing from folks that do, did, or know someone that has

Howdy

This is a Smith and Wesson 32 Regulation Police. The name gives it away, these were commonly carried by many police officers in large cities. Not all policemen were carrying 38s, this is a six shot revolver chambered for the 32 S&W Long cartridge. They were small, so they could easily be slipped into a pocket. The barrel is 4 1/4" long, so there is a reasonable sight radius. They also came with 3 1/4" and 6" barrels.

The 32 Regulation Police was first made in 1917, and production stopped in 1942. Then after the war they were made again from 1946 until 1960. In 1957 the name was changed to the Model 31. This one was made in 1925. These revolvers are not all that rare, you just have to be on the lookout. I found another one locally about a year ago.

32%20HE%203rd%20Model%20loaded_zpspcgqlu97.jpg

The 32 Regulation Police was built on the I frame, which was the predecessor of the modern J frame. They are roughly the same size. They were very popular, many thousands of them were made.

Here you can see how similar in size it is to a J frame Model 63 22/32 Kit Gun. The grip of the 32 Regulation Police is slightly longer, and easier to grip than round butt grip of a J frame Model 36.

32%20HE%203rd%20Model%20and%2022-32%20kit%20gun%20j%20frame_zps2e7bbgps.jpg

And you can see how much smaller it is than a standard K frame 38 Special Military and Police revolver.

MP%20and%2032%20HE%203rd%20Model_zpsxh1cxgrq.jpg

These are very nice little guns to shoot, the recoil is very mild, and the double action trigger tends to be lighter and smoother than a modern J frame.

This is a Colt 32 Police Positive. Again, the name gives away a lot of who were buying these, although they were very popular with the general public too. This one was made in 1917. These are marked for the 32 Colt New Police, which is just Colt's version of the 32 S&W Long.

policepositive32inbox_zpscb9989ee.jpg

For size comparison, this photo shows the little Colt at the bottom along with a pair of S&W Regulation Police. The grip is a tad longer on the Colt, so it is a bit easier to hold, but the Smiths have a much sweeter double action trigger pull.

3%2032%20revolvers_zpss9hjyt1g.jpg

I just wish there were more options than the LCR for a six shot snubby in 32. Don't get me wrong. I like the LCR and own one, but the 327 mag and 32 h&r mag deserve broader industry support.

My wife has badly damaged wrists and can't shoot 38 special. My daughter started shooting when she was nine years old (she just turned 12 the other day).

Either of them can easily shoot 32 H&R magnum. Why would my wife even consider using 22 lr for SD instead of 32 H&R magnum? But some people do that. It boggles the mind.

I don't feel comfortable with 32acp or 32 S&W long for SD, but 32 H&R magnum and 327 federal are a different story. My understanding is that the H&R round approaches 38 special effectiveness, and that the 327 goes beyond that. That is plenty good enough for me.

A few years back when we were younger and had no money and I had to be gone sometimes, I found a 1990 vintage H&R/NEF revolver in 32 H&R magnum for 120-something dollars. It still goes bang every time. My wife likes to keep large dogs, so it probably doesn't matter, but she felt secure with it on her nightstand if I had to be out of town.

When we had a bit more money I found her a Charter Arms Undercoverette in the same caliber. It is still her favorite.

Later I found a Single Six also in the same caliber. It has a 6.5" barrel. It isn't exactly ideal for SD, but my daughter is amazingly accurate with it and loves to shoot it. That thing is a tack driver.

My 4" SP101 in 327 still has a trigger too stiff for either of them to enjoy it much, but it is smoothing out and I can shoot it quite well. I prefer my 4" 357, but I sure wouldn't feel unarmed with it. Some of those 327 rounds are pretty spicy.

And just for grins I found an old S&W Hand Ejector in S&W 32 long for next to no money. It is a hoot to plink with. I am too spoiled to consider that round for SD, but LEO's used to do so, and it is a heck of a lot better than a 22. The recoil is pretty much nothing.

Last edited:
As always, I am envious of DWJ. It is no comparison to his fine pieces, but here is my old-fashioned Hand Ejector. It is from 1915 0r 1916. It has damaged finish and no one wants 32 S&W long anymore, so I got it for a $125 bid. It is pretty accurate, and if that is all Grandma and Grandpa can shoot anymore, it is still WAY better than a 22. I have a 22 LR that is identically sized, and the difference in recoil is barely discernable.

SW20Hand20Ejector20Right_zpszz2eq3mo.jpg

Here is my wife's favorite for HD. The trigger is very nice. She can easily empty it towards the middle of a paper plate at seven yards, rapid fire. She considers it to be "cute" and it does not intimidate her at all.

ec157307-6308-415b-b9aa-b6e39e1df9bf_zpsisjdedi3.jpg

My daughter does not like recoil. If a cousin or friend is there she will now shoot 38 special or 9mm just because they are doing it, but that isn't her preference. This Single Six 32 H&R magnum she can blaze away with until she is bored. Her male cousins will no longer have shooting contests with her when she has this because it is "no fair".

Single20Six2032_zpsc1ejw7v4.jpg

If we are allowed other than snubbies here are a couple more of mine. A Smith & Wesson model 30-1 with 4" barrel and a 631 stainles steel. This was my Holy Grail gun for years. And after I bought it I have only shot it a few times. Of course the 631 is a 32 magnum.

I checked on GB and if you type in Smith & Wesson 32 there are over 150 guns that come up. I don't know about Colts. So there is no reason you shouldn't be able to find a suitable gun for your daughter.

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 58
doesn't have to be a snubbie, just a gun that you (or others you personally know) do carry or have carried for personal protection against criminal attack. if not carried than it is or was the primary "house gun" for somebody.

Back