.30Carbine-Legal DEER -In.THRU 2020

Skeets

Member in memoriam
This cartridge IS legal now in Indiana to deer hunt on private land.What would TFL choose(no FMJ )for100yd. Maximum Range deer hunting?:eek:Skeets

Last edited:
What was the Indiana G&F thinking when they legalized the .30 carbine for deer hunting. Seems to me that most folks using the carbine will be shooting factory FMJ ammo out of it. I don't know of any factory loaded big game ammo for it, maybe I'm wrong. But I can imagine a lot of wounded deer running around.

What was the Indiana G&F thinking when they legalized the .30 carbine for deer hunting. Seems to me that most folks using the carbine will be shooting factory FMJ ammo out of it. I don't know of any factory loaded big game ammo for it, maybe I'm wrong. But I can imagine a lot of wounded deer running around.

I agree, if your going to kill a something you owe it a quick kill so it don't suffer for hours. I did load some hollow points for mine but I would still use something bigger.

I agree, if your going to kill a something you owe it a quick kill so it don't suffer for hours. I did load some hollow points for mine but I would still use something bigger.

.300BLK.

What would TFL choose(no FMJ )for100yd. Maximum Range deer hunting?

A different gun!

But if you back it down to 50 yards, a jacketed soft point if you can find one, which might only be available for handloaders.

Last edited:
I would never use a 30 Carbine FMJ for game. I fully agree that there are easily much better cartridges but it has to be at least as effective or more so than a 357Mag out of a pistol.

The .30 Carbine round should work just fine, provided shot placement and range are optimum.

Unless, of course, the deer are wearing padded cotton Chinese Army uniforms, then all bets are off.

I hope this trickles over to Ohio, they just allowed straight walled cartridges a year or two ago. You'd have thought the world was ending when they started talking seriously about allowing it.

Would love to take my Carbine on a deer hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having fired a lot of decent scores with the Carbine in the CMP Carbine Matches, I wouldn't have any qualms using the Carbine with SP bullets for deer up to 200 yards.

110 grain HP's or SP's with IMR4227. BARK!!! Thud.
"...will be shooting factory FMJ ammo out of it..." What make you think that? Indiana says hunting with FMJ's is illegal anyway.

.30 Carbine/NO USE (FMJ) Ever On Deer!

Don't know how the .30Carbine FMJ got in as legal or moral in the first place,op says :NO FMJ !.Remington,Winchester,and Cor-Bon are making excellent,expanding,110gr.bullets.I'm on my familiar,family ground using my Carbine instead of my S&W.357.Thanks for your replies,Skeets

I'd say probably the sierra may be your best bet. here's a better question? is it for an auto loader or a single shot?
if you're using a m1c then you're going to be limited to the 110gr round nose genre, but if you're using a single shot like a contender then that opens you up to the 123gr hornady SST which is an excellent deer bullet.

A lot of early cartridges that were fine for deer seem to be really useless now. I bet the .30 carbine is more powerful than a lot of those early cartridges. I have shot and killed a whole lot of deer that were already wounded and the .30 carbine is not legal in PA. I have to wonder what they were using?

Federal offers soft points in their Power-Shok line of ammo for the 30 carbine.
Prvi. Partizan, Monarch, Sellier and Bellot, and Magtech all offer 30 carbine ammunition loaded with soft point bullets as do others.
I think harvesting a whitetail with a Ruger Blackhawk chambered in that round would be an enjoyable challenge. It would be acceptable in any firearm chambered for it keeping in mind the limitations of the round and one's own responsibility as a marksman.

I shot a Blacktail buck in Calif forty years ago at eighty yards broke his neck, fell down and died.....did not feel under gunned that day.

Back