308 Win Heft or 270 Win Flight

When in the beanfield, I usually use 7RUM. It is overkill for deer, but it is very forgiving if you miss your dope a smudge.

I was a big .270 fan at distance for many years. Fact of the matter is you learn your drop, practice and be able to make the shot at the distance you feel comfortable. I used my .270 because it was the most accurate rifle I owned but if that rifle had been in .308 then I would have learned to use that out to 500.

Now if I want to take shots over 350 I bring my 300 wsm and 165 Nosler accubonds. In general I want a bullet with good sectional density but still retains its speed. I used 150 Speer Grand slams in .270.

Caliber matters less than how well you know and can shoot your rifle.

Math is your friend.

Compare the two, using Hornady 150 IBs for both.

The 270 Win goes sub sonic at 1500 yards. The 308 goes Sub sonic at 1150 yards

The 270 Win use to suffer from the lack of long range bullets. Thats not the case to day, there are several excellent bullets out there. I prefer the 150 gn Hornady IB myself esp. on Elk.

At 500 yards either would do the job, but move beyond that the 270 shines.

Hunting ethics aside, I like playing at distance shooting. I can fairly constantly hit a 18 inch gong at 1400 yards with my 270, I'm lucky to do it with my 308 even using 175 Gr SMKs or Hornady 178 A-Max.

But again, at normal ethical hunting ranges both would work fine.

My complaint is that Hornady seems to have given up on the IB in favor of the ELD-X bullets. I have hunted with both, in my 257 Rbts, 270 Win, '06 and found the IB to be a better hunting round. A bit more pricy but its worth it to me.

First, I'd need to know EXACTLY what the range was, then, would need to know where the bullet would strike below the crosshairs at that distance and what the wind velocity/direction would do to that particular bullet weight/BC/muzzle velocity. Next, I'd need a stable, sitting position, preferably with a solid rest.

The deer must be nearly motionless and would have to be 90* angle to the shot, which would allow a high shoulder/lung hit and the most forgiving angle of the shot.

Next, I'd have to be comfortable, hands warm and my vision through the scope clear and unobstructed.

Next, I'd think about whether I wanted to shoot that deer and whether I had a good means of getting it out to the meat cutter. For instance...if there was a deep canyon between us...no shot.

My .270 Remington will out-shoot most .308 hunting rifles. It shoots 1/2 MOA and I know how much to raise the crosshairs to make a 500 yard shot. The 140 grain Accubond bullets would do the job very well at that distance.

All things being a go, I still may not shoot, because I really don't like venison. :p

Last edited:
Back