.308 Win Hang-fires

Warning
This posts lists data for a powder and bullet combination for which no published data could be found. Published data was used while replacing several key components like primer and bullet. Do not use this data. This data is for my own use and conversation within the forum. Neither TFL or myself will be responsible for the use of the data in this thread.

Decided to try Alliant Power Pro Varmint in my .308 Win today. Lapua Palma cases, CCI 450 primer, Hornady 165 grain BTSP. The only data I could find for this powder, cartridge and bullet was from Federal premium load data. The bullet they used was the 165 grain Trophy Bonded Tipped.

I used a starting load in the middle of the published range at 42 grains. I also loaded in half grain increments up to 44.5 grains, which was .2 grains below the listed maximum charge. Bullets were seated to the canelure.
My lowest charge weight showed approximately a one second delay in firing after the firing pin dropped. I fired four of these to make sure it was not a fluke. The fourth shot did not go off at all. No high pressure signs at all and velocity was 150 fps below published data. So, I skipped right to my maximum charge. At 44.5 grains, only 40% of cartridges had a noticeable delay in firing. Although, the delay was much shorter, only a fraction of a second. I fired the rest of the max charge to empty the brass.

I am left with wondering if I need more powder to make this powder work in cold temperatures, large rifle primers, or to abandon this powder all together for the 308.
Small pocket 308 brass has always been notorious for hangfiring. Most people who use it run it above Max. They use the small primer pocket brass because it will stand higher pressure without over expanding flash holes so quickly.

all I can say is I have fired 4K - 5K rounds with SRP between .308 and .260 Rem using Varget, H4350, 4831SC, Tac, CFE 223 and RL 15 not once have I ever had a hangfire. Most of those loads were using CCI 400's and Fed blue box. The main reason I am using LRP cases now is I have a good supply and I am saving my SRP's for the cartridges that require them.

Unclenick, out of the two cartridges that did not fire, I pulled the bullets to look at the powder. Neither one of them even appears as though the primer went off. I am about to decap those two pieces of brass and inspect the primer.

Oops, I feel like an idiot. After pulling those two bullets to look at the powder I apparently mixed them with my batch of fired brass and threw them in the tumbler. I doubt I will be able to tell them apart now.

The powder I pulled from those cartridges does not look oily and is not clumping from inside the case. When I mentioned clumping in an earlier post, I was referring to how it seems to clump slightly when in the original container. It was never clumping I could see. It was what I was interpreting as clumping by the way it would feel when moving the powder containers around.

Back