308 vs 338 lapua

Status
Not open for further replies.
bfchinalkc.jpg

Having worked for a dangerous game safari rifle manufacturer I'll share what is traditional/typical.

Control round feed action w/3pos safety. Most guides insist on these features.

OR

A double rifle.

For dangerous game these were/are very popular chamberings:

375HH is the smallest we did
450 Dakota was most popular
500 Nitro Express is the biggest I've ever personally chambered a gun for

A 338 Lapua Magnum could work but I guess but it is a bit light for something large, ****** off, and charging.

put a red dot on this and it should cover what he's trying to do...

Colt%20peacemaker%20.45%20giant%20pistol.jpg

Hey Wildalaska, is this considered troll food? :D

Big bore, big game

I know, I know, everyone has a favorite. I dont hunt big game. I hunt food. I own most of the calibers mentioned here plus the BMG. What is my favorite, lightweight, durable, trouble free with eight extra shots rifle? Dont know that do you?
Well, Im going to tell you what my go to gun is. It is my 1894 Marlin octagon barrel lever gun in 45/70. Dont think that has enough horsepower. WRONG! Try mine with .500 gr Buffalo Bore cartridges. Even in the 1890s the government shooting trials for this caliber were hitting (large) targets at TWO MILES. Not bigger than elephants even! And with .500 gr bullets. Consider that Buffalo Bore certainly wasnt in business back then. Mine is sighted in at 150. Put the hold over chart on your glove. And if you are real picky take a rangefinder. Id bet my life on my 45/70 anywhere, anytime. And the cost to shoot is not crazy out of sight for rich guys only.

Control round feed action w/3pos safety. Most guides insist on these features.
Excellent choices. Some suggestions from a pro hunter in South Africa:

Win. 70 for .375 Wby or H&H mag; even a .458 Win. Mag. if new cases are used..

True magnum Mauser action for 416 Rigby to .505 Gibbs size bolt gun rounds.

Double for calibers larger than .45. A good hunter-marksman can put four shots form a .470 NE double inside 4 inches at 50 yards in 6 to 7 seconds. They'll keep up with and probably shoot more accurate than someone shooting a magnum Mauser for 4 shots using 40 caliber or larger rounds.

Sorry for lovers of other actions; they just aint that reliable when the (cape buffalo) chips are down (you scared them out of him) and he's bearing down on you like a freight train with a smart brain and you can't get off the tracks.

I'd get a Deagle.
They is superpowerful on cod, and I wonce shooted a dude at like 2milea wit da ironz.
My brufaz best freind has wun he told me, and he wunce kilded 2 lionz wif wun bullit.

I dunno, would be pretty tough to make that 1200 yard (why yard instead of meter, Indians use the metric system....) shot against an insurgent with a rifle set up for dangerous game.

Considering the state of gun ownership restrictions in India I'd say that our poor selfless Surgeon is going to have to be happy with whatever issue rifle he is given, or not.

India makes California look positively libertarian.
http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india/laws/

Jimro

I'm voting 308 at ranges of 50 yards or so. It is on the light side for truly large game, but just about perfect for all of the smaller stuff. Lets be a bit realistic about just how often you'd actually shoot an elephant. And with proper bullets it would work just fine. WD Bell killed over 1,100 elephant with the similar 7X57 chambering. And 308 chambered FAL's are the favored rifle of elephant poachers in Africa. 7.62X39's and 223 rounds have been used as well. I think it would be a fair SWAG to say that the 308 and 7X57 combined have killed more elephant than any other rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back