308 vs 338 lapua

Status
Not open for further replies.

.408cheytac

Inactive
Hey guys i would like to know which gun is a better choice to shoot any thing from a elephant,tiger,leopard at less than 50yards and if necessary snipe a few insurgents at a long range(max1200 yards).any other caliber or round can also be suggested as long as it is a shoulder fired( less than 20 pound) pls it should be a convinient for hand carrying for 5km in a stretch walk through dense forest .

Get a double rifle in something over .40 caliber. You don't want some bull elephant charging at you at under 50 yards away with a .338 Lapua. You will sh*t your pants if it happens!! I guarantee it!

You realize you're dealing in hundreds of inches of drop at 1200 yards, right?

That means scope adjustment... sitting there and counting 400 or more clicks of a quarter-minute scope turret to go from a 100 yard zero to a 1200 yard zero?

A quick defensive-use rifle for dangerous game will typically not have a scope at all on it. It also will be a double-rifle of some sort rather than a bolt action, to avoid a terrible situation where a frantic attempt at extraction/ejection leaves the case rim torn and the cartridge still in the chamber.

Stopping big dangerous game is a job for a bullet with a blunt nose/wide meplat and a lot of weight.

1000+ yard marksmanship is a job for .24 to .28 caliber bullets with streamlined bodies, high ballistic coefficient and specially designed noses that are typically hollowpoints to aid in flight.

You're talking about two extremely different rifles and you're not going to get one that does both with any sense of authority.

In my safe... were I to shoot at blue helmeted zombies at 1000 yards (and I have zero practice at 1000 under my belt right now... my max tried is 300 yards), I'd go with my M14 and hope for the best with the "click" formula of 3/3/4/4/5/6/6/8/8 to get my iron sights out to 1000 yards from a 100 yard zero. I'm still likely to be off by at least a couple feet, though.

However, were I in large predator or manstomper country, I'd be carrying my .450 Marlin levergun (and wishing for a .458 WinMag and years of practice prior). Big, heavy bullets with a wide face that crush anything in its path.

That .450 Marlin will not make it to 1000 yards with near the efficiency of the M14 in .308.

The 338 Lapua is fast becoming the caliber of choice in the military sniper community, especially among the Brits.

I know that .50 bmg, .416 beretta , .408 cheytac van do all that but the rifles are too heavy for carry i think so.any other suggestion?

where are you cruising around that has vicious elephants and insurgents, jungles of creatures and 1200 yard open zones?

my buddy is trying to sell me his AR30 in 338 lapua right now for $1500, with 120 rounds and the real bipod that goes with the rifle... not the harris.

it's killing me.

no way am I giving it up until I decide :D:D:D

Its' one of my co workers...I really want that gun, but just don't know if I want to swing what the ammo is going for.

I'd rather have one in 300 win mag, just because of ammo availability.

That gun is awesome though... it will hold 1/2MOA and I shot a 3 shot group under 1" at 200 yards with it....friggen incredible.

Hey guys i would like to know which gun is a better choice to shoot any thing from a elephant,tiger,leopard at less than 50yards and if necessary snipe a few insurgents at a long range(max1200 yards).any other caliber or round can also be suggested as long as it is a shoulder fired( less than 20 pound) pls it should be a convinient for hand carrying for 5km in a stretch walk through dense forest .

Please dont feed the troll:barf:

WildwhatasillypostAlaska ™

remember a post about hunting a while back that was like "i need a hunting rifle, i like the looks of 338 lapua since 300 mag and 308 are kind of weak"

too bad...I heard they were about to release a T/C pistol in .50 BMG (hopefully, it's ported)

would have been perfect for this guy :D

yeah... when your life is on the line, you don't want to be jacking around with wussy ass little calibers like the .500 magnum. or god forbid a .44.

There is really only one way to insure your safety, and that is by using a .50 BMG with incendiary tips, in a T/C pistol with 10" ported barrel

Sunny boy i en't from america.instead im from india,we have dense forest followed by wide grass lands.and im a military surgeon with active medical duty in tribal areas.so......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back