.308 vs. 30-06 vs. 300 win mag, not just ballistics??

And consider: some barrels are faster than others. My .300 is apparently on the fast side, but that 130 gr. load is right out of the Barnes handbook with similar velocities. It was nice to not have to worry about ranging an animal--just aim for hair and cut loose.

allaroundhunter- Yes you are right. I changed my velocity. I went down and checked my records. 2875 fps. I don't believe it is a hot load. I have no pressure signs at all. Heck my 175 serria match loads are 2710 fps.

Yes I do believe there is a big difference between hand loads and what you buy on the shelf. Store ammo is a slower load,I'm sure for safety reasons.

allaroundhunter- Yes you are right. I changed my velocity. I went down and checked my records. 2875 fps. I don't believe it is a hot load. I have no pressure signs at all. Heck my 175 serria match loads are 2710 fps.

Yes I do believe there is a big difference between hand loads and what you buy on the shelf. Store ammo is a slower load,I'm sure for safety reasons.

Sorry, when I said hot I didn't mean unsafe. I simply meant that it may be a little hotter than what an ammo manufacturer would load them for. Just a little closer to max pressures than factory ammo.

I load my 168s to 2845 FPS as well ;)

I like the .308, but I know "my" limitations are different than the caliber. I learned along time ago that taking a shot at longer distances is more a problem for the guy behind the trigger than what caliber you are shooting.

Pick a caliber you are comfortable with, learn to shoot it well and figure out your personal limitations. Most folks find they cannot shoot nearly as far as the gun can and still make a good, clean, well placed shot. Moose have been taken with everything from .243 to .458, so pick your favorite and learn what "you" can do, set your limits and stick to it. Sometimes you have to hunt harder and get closer.

All three will do the job but you have to do your job first. In other words, you have to put the bullet in the right place. If it were me, I'd opt for the .308 or 30.06. The 30.06 packs a little more energy but the moose won't know the difference.

While I love the 30-06 & .308, the 300WM is my favorite. I had my gunsmith build my 300WM. With the tri fin muzzle brake it has far less recoil than my .308's or 30-06's. The only sacrifice is the noise. It is a loud beast.

I would say most would be perfectly satisfied with the 308 or 06, after shooting a few round chrono'd in my 300 I fell in love. My loads are not for the faint of heart though. I received a few boxes of the Army/Navy Mk248 Mod1 and realized the potential of the Win Mag. After cloning the rounds I realized why the hype behind them was there.

Don't get me wrong, I shoot steel only, but with my back issues, there is NO way I could shoot the 300 without the brake. My rifle weighs In at around 13 lbs. with Manners T5-A, NightForce, and Harris bipod. I wouldn't want to trek it through the desert or woods very far but to set and hit steel it serves me perfectly.

That being said I still swear the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber I have shot. The 308 is no slouch, but picking the right caliber and rifle is up to the individual.

My next project is a 243 or 6.5 CM.

You should absolutely take the rifle you are most comfortable (shoot well) with.

FWIW I didn't see anyone else mention that the .308 is a short action cartridge and can be had in a more compact rifle. Might be something to consider if you'll be hunting in heavy cover, JMO.

That vid has been around for several years ..... I can't even remember how long ago it was when I first saw it ...... I'll never forget it, though.

Back