308 vs 30.06 for brush

The brush gun term especially with regard to caliber is mostly BS. An unseen or misjudged twig can easily deflect a bullet from any rifle you choose. So, a brush gun is truly just a rifle that allows you to make very quick shots or what some would call "jump shots" or "snap shots". You sure about the combo rifle choice?

If you are truly going to be hunting a lot of different big game animals, I personally would go with the 30-06 because of the heavier bullet capability.

But then again, I would probably use the moose, elk, goat or big bear hunt as an excuse to buy another rifle, so either a 30-06 or 308 is just fine for me.

I'd like to reply to post 39.
I agree about the Henry. We don't see a lot of posts about that rifle. I bought one after seeing it for the very first time at a gun shop and just had to have it. It is different and it does shoot great. If loading gates don't work for some hunters, the Henry is a good choice. It reminds me of the common .22 rimfire tube. Except the cutout for that round is enormous. I'm a big fan of Henry. It's a shame I don't see many of them in 45-70 and 30-30 around. I have to believe they are outstanding deer hunting rifles. We just don't see them as much as other levers, bolts, etc.

Back