308 vs 260 vs 243

Outdoorsmin

Inactive
Ok, I know strange comparison with the 308, but here's my dilemma. I have a 22LR, 223 & 30.06. I am trying to fit the niche of medium sized game rifle, paper shooting and to have a rifle my kids can shoot when they start hunting. 90% of shooting will be within 500 yards on paper up to 1000 yards once in a blue moon.

I was originally going to get the 308. Cheaper to shoot, long lasting barrel, ammo options, decent ballistics and trajectory. Then I got to thinking, why get a 308 when I already have a 30.06 (passed down from generations - Win Model 70 Pre 64).

So I started looking into the 243, when doing my google research I found people suggesting the 260, 25.06, 6.5 Creedmoor. I really like what people are saying regarding the 260 for paper shooting and medium size game hunting.

However I really like Tikka T3 and after looking for a rifle and ammo (I do not reload and do not see it in my near future) I found minimal options regarding ammo and most places either do not carry a Tikka T3 260 or do not have availability to order. That is worrisome, and I know the 260 ammo availability has been beat to death however I just cannot make the decision on taking a chance on the 260 ammo if I can find the riffle.

Has anyone bought the 243 instead of the 260 and are happy with their decision? Wish they would have purchased the 260?

Any updates on if 260 will have more ammo options?

I just do not want to buy a gun that 10-25 years from now is very expensive to shoot or impossible to find ammo for.

Any help I would appreciate.

Have you considered the 25.06? I don't have one I have a .243. the 25.06 is definitely a step up ballistically and ammo for it is everywhere

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

.243 and .308 are popular, and are likely in the top 5 easiest to obtain ammo for. Anyone that sells ammo has .243, .308, .30-06, .30-30, and .270. At least up here in the north.

It sounds like the .243 will do what you want. If you want a slightly larger diameter, you might look into a .270. Both cartridges are very readily available anywhere you find ammo.

Welcome to the Firing Line, Outdoorsmin. There are any number of worthy bolt-action calibers to choose from, like my favorite, the 270 Winchester. However, you already have a great 30-'06, and it's so close as to be redundant. Plus you mentioned young hunters starting out, so less recoil is an important consideration. Since you already have the other bases well covered, it seems to me that the 243 Winchester is unquestionably your best choice, with excellent ammo availability at the best prices. I will, however, recommend a different rifle: Why not get another model 70 Winchester? Perhaps the Featherweight version. Then, as the kids get older, they could switch over to your pre-64 on the occasion, and it will have a lot of familiarity. I hope this helps and that you have good fortune in your search for the right rifle.

I know it's not on your list, but I'd suggest looking at 7mm-08. Similar to the 308 you considered originally, yet different enough to fill an empty space. Good for medium-sized game, low recoil, fine barrel life, pretty flat-shooting, decent ammo availability.

I dont own one, but; I like the 260. A lot.

I do own a 7mm-08 and it is light weight and mild recoil. Ammo goes on sale and easier to find than 260. if i did not have a 7mm, i would look at a 260. I do so, I dont.

Several old time friends (old like me) have switched to 243 and seem to be taking deer as easy as ever. There are some very short & light youth models that can sometimes have modules/stocks or changed up to fit and adult. These guys are plenty happy. They can hunt and shoot straight too.

You do not want a 308, 30-06,270 or 25-06 for the situation you described.

Edit: I re-read the Op post, and it sounds to me like 243 would be just fine.

Last edited:
The M70's tend to be heavy. Unless things have changed they only make one action length. Same with savage, one big long action. I like the M70 for 30-06 on up. Probably my last choice in a 243. That is just my opinion. Read the specs ( I could be wrong) and remember you have ammo, rings & scope added to that.

Tikka and Ruger (others) make true medium length actions and at least potentially weight less.

Winchester Model 70s have been available in multiple action lengths for almost 2 decades: standard length, short action, and WSM action.

Savages too.

Thank you for the responses so far everyone.

Pathfinder45....I really like the Tikka actions and I will be switching out the stock/chassis for something else. I am just trying the fill the gap between my 30.06 and 223. However if the 25.06/260/7mm08 are better options I would be willing to try one out. I do not want to be leaving a lot on the table by going with the 243 if you know what I mean. I will be using my 30.06 for deer/deer sized game so I am not sure that I need to step up to 25.06/260/7mm08. The gun would mostly be for larger game than my 223 can handle and smaller game than most would use for the 30.06 as well as a paper puncher. And for a year or two my kids deer rifle. Man that's a mouthful.

I guess action lenght depends how you look at it.

Bottom to top; Model 70 Compact 243 Winchester - 2000, Model 70 Super Shadow 270 WSM - 2003, Model 70 Featherweight 270 WSM - 2010. The short action ejection port on the two 270 WSMs is 2.750", the 243 Winchester version measured 2.500" even though action length for all are the same at 5.750". The top and bottom are controlled round feed type with a full length extractor and the Super Shadow is push feed. The original Model 70 was controlled round feed. A byproduct of this... investigation is that I know with certainty I can replace the stock on my Super Shadow with a clean walnut Winchester Featherweight piece and some factory or custom bottom metal.

Bolt dimensions are similar. They all have a bolt body diameter of 0.693", they are all 5.097" from bolt head to inside face of the bolt handle. Top and bottom bolts have full length, non-rotating extractors, the center is push feed. All have the handy three position horizontal pivoting safety.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/283.htm

Fourbore.. You and your friends are switching from 7mm08/260 to 243's? Am I ready that correct?

The OP was asking if he would regret getting a 243. While not for me, i have had two friends go 243 for white tail and they are happy. I am staying with the 7mm08. Did he really say 1000 yards? I am sorry, I dont know. I should not have said anything.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a lot of ammo available for 243, but how much is available in match grade for shooting paper out to 1000 yards? There is lots of match grade for 308, 6.5 CM, 223 but most of the factory ammo I see for 243 is either for hunting deer or hunting varmints.

Man, that is a tough call with no real wrong answers...if I had to pick just one I guess I'd go with the .243 simply because of the ammo. But really, you can't go wrong with either .243 or .260 for a mid size cartridge.

Fourbour... I was the original poster. Was just curious why your buds switched to 243 instead of the other choices or away from the 260/25.05/7mm/6.5

Back