.308 vs .223

Now, how do I convince my wife that I need an AR-15 when the prices go down next year? I can hear it now. "You have a rifle, why do you need another?" "What do you mean it shoots a different sized bullet???" Then the question I always get. "How many guns is enough?" I still have not come up with a good answer for that one. I tried one every year until I am dead but she did not care for that answer. So far I have been using the just one more tactic but I think that
it is wearing thin. :)

The .223 is better than the .308, give me a brake! Check this site out http://www.fen.baynet.de/norbert.ar...o carry a lot of ammo a .223 is better. Hiker

Hey Keeper - Try this next time your wife says "How Many Guns Do you Need?" Correct answer - "Just one more. I promise...."

223 vs. 308. = And the winner is - Both.
The 223 is a lot more fun to shoot IMO, especially when you spend an afternoon with a nine year old and 1,000 rounds goes flying.
But I like to shoot a Polytech M14 - but I usually only shoot about 100 rounds. They are different weapons with different characteristics. My son is small built and needed a gun he could handle -so last year he bagged an eight point at 20 yards using a Mini-14. The deer dropped on the spot. Both shoulder blades were fractured, one lung, and the spinal cord. The bullet made about a quarter sized track of pulverized meat and the bullet lodged under the opposite side skin still in one piece. Used a Remington soft tip. The 308 is a better gun for deer since it will leave a better trail if you don't get a clean shot. I use Remington core locks and I have never had a deer not to drop on the spot. My dad used a 270 - but seemed to have to track every deer he shot. If you could only buy one rifle, then an AR will let you shoot more for less money. But if you want more "boom" then get a 308. Have fun and let us know what you decide...

Johan 762 is right. It is all in the yaw and bullet construction. There is no doubt that the .308 is more powerful, but if a .30 caliber fmj blasts through before it has a chance to yaw and tumble it won't make a devastating wound in soft tissue. The .223 fmjs yaw and tumble more quickly.

I know nothing about these matters. I've read some stuff though.

During my tour of duty, the weapon was the M16A1. I disliked it on sight, even more when I fired it. The "boing" got to me in some weird way. OTOH, I liked the M60. Now I am told that I only liked the 60 because I never had to fire 3 to 5K rounds through it under duress, if I had, I would have learned new lessons about case/head separations, feed tray cover failures and so on. All I knew was it felt and fired like a proper rifle and fired a "real" round. I could squeeze off shots with it pretty well and controllably and during more than one "qualification" match I managed to qualify 28 out of 30 with a 30 rd belt on the M16 range. (that was a real no-no and I did pay for it later)

Enyway,
Janes little blurb on the M14 is to the effect that the M1 Garand needed an upgrade, or side grade, to comply with NATO, and the brass had decided that it was time to split the diff betwixt the Garand and the BAR and make them both into one. So they beefed up the M1, added selective fire, chambered it in 7.62NATO and ended up with a
reliable if clumsy weapon. Eventually it just flunked out as being uncontrollable under automatic fire. It was also heavy, and supposedly ineffective in the jungles of SE Asia.

Now, What I think would be sort of relevant would be a comparison of the kill ratio of the Pacific theatre WWII troop and the Garand to the SE Asia VN theatre troop and the M16.

I know folks say all kinds of things about the M16, best weapon ever devised to the worst piece of junk blah blah. I don't like it, but Mr Stoner knew a heck of a lot more about these things than I ever will and I certainly respect that.

I've never heard anyone complain much about their Garands aside from broadcasting when they run empty. In fact, folks I've talked to and known were quite fond of that weapon. Not much controversy there.

Anyone have any stats?

Back