.308 soft point or 12 guage foster slug

"Anything the 12ga slug in ANY form can do, the .308 can do better.
Foot pounds of energy? Check. (Way Wrong)
Trajectory? Check. (Right)
Range? Check. (Right)
Actual tissue damage? Check. (Way Wrong)
Penetration? Check. (Way Wrong)
Accuracy? Check" (Right)

The Winchester Partition Slug I referenced is over 3,400 foot pounds. No .308even comes close. The Brenneke Magnum Crush goes over 3,800 ft lbs. So no, wrong.

As for "penetration" and "actual tissue damage" aka "tissue damage" the best testing, in my opinion, and in many others, are the Linebaugh Seminars and the "Bone Box." The 9.3 x 62 with a 250 grain Nosler at 2,725 fps (way more gun than a .308) goes 17 inches in the box without any bone. The following from a thread from Shotgun World site 4-28-04:

"Terminator "Wound Channels"
The 730 grain hard cast .73 caliber Terminator moving out at 1268 FPS, penetrated 29 inches into the wet pack. This round blasted a 4 inch wide tapering tunnel for the biggest "wound channel" of the seminar!

The slightly deformed nose of the Terminator on the left above occured when one round was fired too close th to top of the paper. It exited the paper stack near the end of its travel and slammed into the heavy pine support board.

For comparison, a Federal .416 Rigby round with a 400 grain Partition, penetrated 30 inches with a considerably smaller displacement of the test medium."

The current Dixie DGS ("Dangerous Game Slug") is even "more gun." It shoots a .730 caliber 870 grain hard cast slug 1,200 fps. I'm not a big fan of the Taylor K.O. Value, except as it gives an indication as to potential performance on dangerous game, lion, tiger, big bears, Cape buffaLo, and the Dixie DGS get a 109 on the Taylor K.O. scale and the most "powerful" .308 I could find was the 178 grain Hornady Superformance at a 21 Taylor K.O. value. So no, you are wrong, on the most important points.
.308 has its place, but it is not in the world of total destruction at ranges under 100 yards and over 100 yards, it is best suited to medium size game up and not dangerous game at any range.

I was involved with culling water buffalo from the top end of Australia in the early 1980's & used .308's & 12G with rifled slugs for this purpose.
Up close, there is no disputing the power of a 12G slug. I once shot 4 water buffalo in under 10 seconds using a Browning A5 semi auto 12G shotgun firing Brenekke rifled slugs at a distance of around 30 yards. I found the maximum usable distance for slugs for me was around 75 yards.
While the .308 was not as devastating on water buffalo up close as the 12G slugs, I could still drop water buffalo at 200 yards with the .308 if I landed the shots where I wanted.
For my purpose of culling water buffalo I preferred the .308 because of the superior accuracy & range offered when compared to a 12G slug.

Truth is there both equally lethal, there isn't a land animal that walks the earth that can't be killed by either. The only advantage is the .308 is more versatile than a shotgun as long as we are only talking about shooting slugs. The only time I'd ever choose a shotgun with slugs over a .308 is for the sheer stopping power if something big and nasty was trying to end my life close up and personal.

Mr. Mortimer, that is a very well thought out and clearly worded rebuttal...

...which has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the original poster's question.:rolleyes:

He did not ask for a comparison of the .308 to Brenneke's latest super slug, nor the .50 BMG, nor a charging Buick.

He asked about Foster Slugs. Foster Slugs: Those hollow lead cups they tip upside-down in a shotshell and hurl at the vicinity of the target.;)

I would MUCH prefer a 12ga Foster Slug to properly selected .308 ammo if...
if...
if... You know what? No. I wouldn't. Pretty much ever, unless required by law.:D

^ The "redcued recoil" Foster slugs perform much better the the "full recoil" Foster slugs. The whole big slow soft bullet/slug thing - and you are right.

Back