.308 out of a 16 inch barrel for pigs

I'm getting 2600fps with factory loaded 150gr nosler ballistic tip from a dpms recon 308. I have always compared it to a 300savage in terms of effectiveness. It certainly is a much better performer than a 30-30.

And so you have an endless supply of targets!

The guy who put targets on deer corn bags was a genius.

Back to the original thread, I have taken 36 hogs this year, all with a .308 with a shorter barrel a bit over 16" IIRC. They have ranged in size from about 40 lbs to 280 lbs and distances out to 170 yards.

Would a 150gr 308 bullet out of a 16 inch barrel essentially have the same ballistics as a 150gr 30-30?

I download 139grain 7-08 bullets to 2400 f/sec in a 16.75" Ruger Frontier.

Factory 140gr Remington Corelokts make 2650 out of that gun.

I doubt very much that you could not make a 16" .308 do much better than a .30-30 ..... you get to use more efficient bullets, for one thing, and the typical bolt gun will take much higher pressures than a levergun will, and that is the limit factory ammo is loaded to.

If you handload, use a quicker powder than the top loads in the manual - you will get better velocity with less muzzle blast ...... I use IMR 4064 in the Frontier.

I think its less of a question of will a .308 kill a pig at 300 yards and more of a question of are you able to put bullets on target accurately at 300 yards. If you can put a good shot on the pig at that distance, it will kill it.

I'm sure you know by now that hogs die just like anything else and the calibers some people use for them are really on the overkill side. I have shot them with 38/40,44/40/38/55,.223/30-30/7mm-08/.308/.30-06/.350 mag and probably a lot more calibers if I would think about it. I shoot them in traps and out in the open, and don't have problems killing them with any of the calibers. I just pickup whatever rifle I happen to have handy out of a safe and that goes with me that day. I have killed 356 hogs off of one parcel of land that I started hunting 3 yrs. and 8 months ago...so I am still shy of hitting the 100 mark per year.
Basically what I am saying if you can hit them right, they are going to die.

I love these "using this caliber for hogs thread". I haven't killed hundreds of hogs, or been around hundreds of hogs being shot, however, I've been around enough to know that they definitely aren't armor plated.

I plan on taking a hopped up 45 Colt load in my SBH Hunter and am confident at 100 yards I'll have two broken shoulders and a dead pig laying where he was standing, or close to it.

I love these "using this caliber for hogs thread". I haven't killed hundreds of hogs, or been around hundreds of hogs being shot, however, I've been around enough to know that they definitely aren't armor plated.

I plan on taking a hopped up 45 Colt load in my SBH Hunter and am confident at 100 yards I'll have two broken shoulders and a dead pig laying where he was standing, or close to it.

I've killed hundreds of hogs....I'm gonna say that U could do that close range on a small pig..but not a big boar....

Back