.308 or 30-06?

I think I am getting closer to satisfying my itch. I want a mild recoiling deer rifle that shoots flat out to 200 yards... something that a skinny 15 year old can shoot well. I don't reload so I will have to rely on the availability of factory ammo. After checking some ballistics tables I would think that a bolt action chambered in .260 Remington or 7mm-08 Remington would be a nice compromise. Here is why:

More forgiving of shot placement than a .243
Flat shooting out to 200 yards
Less recoil than a .308 or 30-06
More than adequate for whitetail deer.

Any concensus here on this? Thanks

Dogger. You make some interesting points when considering the .260 Rem. and 7-08 Rem. However, and I admit to great prejudice, I would still go with the .308 Win. First off, I have several .308's with barrels ranging from 18 inches to 22 inches. Velocity from My Ruger International with 18 inch barrel is 2,550 FPS with a 165 gr. bullet. Recoil is not that bad. BTW. That rifle weighs just about the same as your Marlin, and is one of my all time favorites. My wife tried it out, and to keep mine, I had to buy her one of her own. And she HATES recoil. My next suggestion, is let your boy use the 30-30, and you use the .308.
One of the problems I see with the .260 and 7-08, is that not all the ammo makers load for it. Everybody does the .308. Might be a problem when out in the rural areas.
Everybody has/sells 30-30 and 30-06. I would think that the .308 is probably now in that same category.
Winchester makes a push feed Model 70 called the Youth/Ranger in .308 and .243. The stock is sized to fit smaller children and women. They aren't bad. I won one in a raffle, but had to restock it with a Ramline because it was too short for me. I've shot groups as small as 3/8's inch with it.
I see you do not reload. Surely there is a gun shop in your area that will make up loads for you.
BTW Art. refering to my comments on 220 gr. bullets in the .308. I have only experimented with the Sierra round nose bullets so far with excellent results. Seems that Hornady's 220's are scarcer than hens teeth around here. I never planned to use a spitzer boattail on the .308 though. They're too darn long. I was seeing if a short range brush load for elk might be possible. As I grow older, the heavier rifles get less attractive when it come to hunting the high country. BTW. The figures I quoted were from a 22 inch barrel. Haven't gotten around to trying them in shorter tubes.
Paul B.

Paul B: I hear you loud and clear about rifle weight. My Wby '06, fully dressed, is about 9-/12 pounds. Basic training, with a Garand, was 46 years ago...

I can tell you that at the end of "a day"--generally 5 to 10, sometimes 15 miles--a 9-1/2-pound rifle weighs around twenty or thirty pounds more than a seven-pound rifle. :(

Lessee. A .308 with an 18" barrel, a 2X scope, a balsa-wood stock :)...Drill the bolt handle, turn the magazine into a sieve, and use an aluminum floor-plate...Well, it's a start.

Later, Art

270 or 7mm mag?

30-30 or .303 British?

.44 magnum or .45 Colt?

9mm or .40 S&W or .45 ACP?

45-70 or 444 Marlin?

.223 or .224 mag?

12 gauge or 20 gauge?

220 Swift or 22-250?

416... Rigby or Hoffman?

458 Win mag or 460 Weatherby?

7X57 Mauser or 6.5X55 Swiss?

257 Roberts or 25-06?

300 Win mag or 30-378?

Warbird or Patriot?

------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

270 or 7mm mag?
:270! =)

30-30 or .303 British?
:Good God are you crazy. The .303 is just like a 30-06 the 30-30 doesn't come close.

.44 magnum or .45 Colt?
:.454 Casuall

9mm or .40 S&W or .45 ACP?
:I choose D all of the Above

45-70 or 444 Marlin?
:45-70 all the way. 444 is weak =)

.223 or .224 mag?
:.223 without a doubt.

12 gauge or 20 gauge?
:12 Guage. No competition.

I can't speak on any of the others. But there you go :) ANd Yes I know that he was no asking for anyone to answer but I felt like being a smartass. :) See you all around.

Art. Forget the balsa wood stock. Try a 1909 Argentine large ring Mauser by Steyr, very slim 19 inch barrel in .308 Winchester, Lawson Mountaineer thumbhole stock in black stained maple wood, leupold compact 4X scope. Total weight with sling and 4 rounds of ammo, 5 pounds. Recoil is rather mild, considering the weight. A rather expensive experiment that worked. The stock looks like the picture in most of Lawson's ads.
Gun did take a bit of getting used to handlingwise, but once I got used to it, it is fast.
Paul B.

Back