.308 Marlin Express?

Does a Savage 99 count as a "real" lever action? I have a 1970 vintage 99 in 308, it has a lever to operate it.

BTW Tom, I had a 307, I think I may still have a little brass, pm me if you're interested.

I see "Real lever guns" chambered in .308 WIN (99 Savage) go for a lot less than $600 at auctions. Sounds like a loser to me. Right up there with the 7-30 Waters and the rest of the lever cartridge failures.

Gunplummer -You're probably looking at the later versions with the detachable box mags. Serious 99 collectors prefer the earlier versions with the rotary magazine, round counter, chambered round indicator, and barrel drilled for the customary Savage cartridges. Mine meets all the criterion except it's chambered for 308 Win. Sure ain't no loser, and no

you can't have it for $600.

jmr40 - craigc said real 308s don't come in traditional lever guns... sorry, that's not true. If a Savage 99 doesn't count as a traditional lever action, nothing does. They were chambered in both 308 Winchester and 300 Savage which are both real 308s.

Last edited:
I love my Winchester .307AE

I have one of the .307 Winchesters, I also happen to have 2K virgin cases for the round, both myself and son have hunted with this round and taken deer and may hunt this fall using our lever guns. We use Nosler 170gr Partitions that has exceptional penetration in these rifles, neither of us have ever had an animal to get away. These Winchester rifles are well made attractive rifles that didn't attract a lot of attention when they were being manufactured but happen to kill deer like they have been hit with lightening.. I don't remember what year I purchased mine but manage to hunt with it when I hunt in thick heavy timber. Attractive and well made, never could warm up to the Marlin competition though.. William

Didn't realize this thread was 6/years old, doesn't matter these were attractive well made rifles that deserve a better fate than what befell them. I won't sell mine and hope whoever receives mine after I'm gone will use the rifle to hunt with and enjoy it as much as I have!! William

It is a constant failure in most gun boards that threads are not auto-locked after 2 years.
Very Few have the coding ability to do it, evidently...

There are a lot less clip feed 99's out there than there are rotary rifles. That would have to be one pristine gun to go for $600. You see them posted for that much, but they do not sell for that. Most of the rotary .308 models were the "Economy" model. I watch the auctions for lever parts guns to re-work or strip. Still, it is a real lever gun that shoots real .308 cartridges. I doubt you will ever see a Winchester or Marlin changed over to one.

Back