.308 for Elk

It's hard to beat a .308/30-06...

I saw a nifty and beautiful little Rem.7 full stock mannlicher style for about $1400 in .350 Rem... I looked up the ballistics of the 350 Rem. and noted the 20 inch barrel of the Model 7....and thought that I'd struck gold ie. the 350 Rem...would give a little more ooomph in the short range... I liked the .350 Rem...but the more I looked at it and the prospects of having to reload it...and the cost vs. benefit...the more I realized 'again' that the little .308 is hard to beat. The .308/30-06's are not flashy corvettes or porsches - but just honest muscle cars that get the job done. :cool:

308 for ELK?

I've shot ELK with .270 Win, 308 Win, 7MM MAG, 300 Win Mag. Every one went down with one shot within 50 yards. Ranges were from 50 yards to 275 yards. If I was going for a big bull, I would opt for the 7mm mag or 300's. Killing a cow vs a big bull is a bit different at any range. At 200 yards or under, any cartidge I mentioned or many others will suffice. I've hunted with a fellow who always hunts for cows (meat hunter) and he only takes head shots and under 100 yards. He loves hunting the timber. He has used a 30-30 succesfully at times. Shot placement over rides muzzle energy. Good shooting!

Back