.308 for Elk

glockopop

Is a .308 big enough for elk? I've been told a .30-06 or a .300 Win Mag is the way to go, but I'm kind of looking for an excuse to buy an M1A.

My son took an elk with a .308 at 75 yds. It only went about 50 yds before dieing. There was too much meat damage and I plan to tame that load down for this years hunt.

You'll be hunting in timber will you not? You don't need anything more than a .308 / 180.

.308 aka 30-06 SHORT is a decent elk cartridge... :)

The 30-06 is better because it moves a heavier bullet faster (About 150-200 fps).

The .300 is even faster with even heavier bullets... :cool:

If you're OK with the muzzle velocity differences... and shorter ranges... you'll be OK. :D

308 is fine...

Think of the 308 as being like the 30-06. The big factor is bullet placement.
Most pros/guides I've ever talked to...have told me they'd rather see a customer show up with an old 270 Win that they know how to shoot than a brand new 300 Win. that maybe they don't know how to shoot.
The 308 has plenty of power...and should do the job.
:cool:

The 308 will work very well, just as the others have said. If you plan on using the M1A for hunting elk, I hope you will be on flat land without much walking, as it is going to get heavy. If you are not using a scope, you might limit yourself to shooting shorter distances.

My buddy had to borrow my .308 on an elk hunt when his .270 had an accident. Went on to take a cow elk went I went home:mad: .

.308 is plenty. Matter of fact, plenty of people take elk with .270 ( the other gun I was hunting with) all the time. Wouldn't go lower than that, though.

30-06 is probably "optimum". But many will argue that it and .308 are so close ballistically under most conditions that it's not worth sweating any difference. I guess I'm one of them.

30-06 is probably "optimum". But many will argue that it and .308 are so close ballistically under most conditions that it's not worth sweating any difference. I guess I'm one of them.

The difference between the .308 and the 30-06 is about the same as the difference between the .30-06 and the .300 WinMag...:rolleyes:

I drop elk with a .270 and a lot of people will tell you that is to small of a bullet for the job. I would stay around a 160 grain bullet and keep the ranges less than 300 yards. The .308 is capable of longer shots if you are able to practice shooting at longer ranges. My only question is are you sure you want to use an M1A to hunt with, great rifle but kind of heavy to carry all day. Most States only allow 5 round magazines or less if you hunt with a semi-auto. My suggestion is buy the M1A because you want to and get a good bolt action for hunting elk.

11 of the 17 elk I've shot were toppled with a .308 rifle. Plain 180 grain ammo is quite good. Premium ammo is even better.

I've NEVER shot farther than about 250 yards. Elk are not difficult to approach by careful stalking. Their eyesight is not the same league as antelope. 225 yards has probably been my average shot. I nearly always wait for a broadside shot into the chest.

I advise all elk hunters to shoot twice. Place your first bullet directly into the chest, the second bullet as close to the first as possible. Practise, practise, practise shooting twice at the range. Work the action quickly but don't hurry the second shot. This practise will pay off in the field.

Good hunting to you.
Jack

The possibility of an elk hunt is still very much up in the air. If I do go, it won't be until next year. I will be in Colorado with my dad and his old army buddy who lives out there and hunts professionally. Apparently, he has a camp that's located on the mountainside overlooking an open grassy area where they like to feed. I was thinking that an M1A might be on the heavy side, but I won't really be tracking an elk over mountains for miles. Think I could use an M1A for prairie dogs too? Is there anything (outside of Africa) that I can't hunt with a .308? I wanted a "tacticool" AR-15 for a while, but if I spend a pile of money on a military style rifle I want it to be useful if I want to hunt something. I also want it to be accurate and reliable. I'm mostly a plinker, and a buddy of mine has 2 .223s and a .270 that are both bolt guns, so I kind of want something different, and I don't particularly care for the feel of the Remington 7600. Any other suggestions I should take a look at?

Glock, I hope you do come to Colorado and hunt elk. I think you will enjoy hunting here it can get quite expensive being from out of State I think bull tags are over $400 now. It will also make a difference if you are hunting private or public land with your dad's friend. On private land you will probably have the hunt go as described, on public I'm not so sure. There are a lot of elk hunters here and to get a cow tag filled is not much of a problem, but to find a nice bull on public lands you really have to work at it. Getting a good bull 300 B&C or better is going to take lots of time and Patience and a walking for lots of miles at high altitudes, and a good deal of luck.

Prairie dogs is another story, they are plentiful and here in CO and can only be hunted on private lands. I would get a .223 to shoot these guys, your .308 will shot them just the same only with more expense. Hunting these little critters will provide you with hundreds of shots during the day and depending on the size of the dog town possibly thousands of shots. I use a lot of guns when I hunt them .22 WMR, .223, and .243, I only use the .243 when the shots are over 300 yds. Most days I don't even use the .243 because I'm having so much fun using the .22 WMR and my .223.

Jack O and FirstFreedom

+1

Glockopop
Is there anything (outside of Africa) that I can't hunt with a .308?

Absolutely...

Jaguar, Grizzly, Polar Bears... and even pissed-off Black Bears

If it's dangerous... get something heftier.

Even the 30-06 is not the best choice for these critters...

The 8mm Mag (or .325WSM) and .338, and .375 would be better and all three are excellent for Elk as well.

Rifle types each fill a specific purpose... "Tacticool" is not the best for Big Game hunting...

Browning makes a really "cool" lever (BLR) in the .300WSM and 30-06 for elk/moose sized animals and down. And of course they make it in the 30-06 SHORT... :D

Also, carefully consider why the bolt action is the most numerous hunting rifle.
After you get a good hunting gun (30-06 :D) then go for the tactical weapon.

NOTE: If the military (& NATO) had not needed a shorter round for automatic weapons... the 30-06 SHORT would never have become popular in the market and possibly never mass produced... It wasn't a necessity. ;)

When I look at .270, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08 and even the .308...
I can't help but wonder... WHY?

I can see making it bigger-better like the .35 Whelen etc.
But there is very little, if anything, to be gained from downsizing the bullet mass. (Maybe for those who are recoil sensitive?) The 25-06 is a possible exception because it is the best .25 caliber, bar none, and it fills a niche that isn't adequately filled by others...

They are all children of the 30-06 which will easily perform as well or better...

If you gotta move a few tons of hay bails you would ask the big brother for help first and then maybe you'd ask the little brother... But one of them will get the job done quicker and better. :)

I would apologize and say this is MHO...
But, how can I be humble when my opinion is soooo right? :D :D

If the 30-06 ain't broke...don't fix it!"

When I look at .270, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08 and even the .308...

Pointer the answer is why not. If we only had one caliber to talk about this would be a very boring forum. If you read my earlier post you know I have a fondness for the 06 and its offspring. I also like variety in cartridges and their abilities or I would not enjoy my rifles so much.

Because more is not always better. And you probably won't gain much more over the .308 in factory loaded ammo, at least with the light and medium weight rounds. Try shaking a 150 grain .30-06 round next to your ear; you'll probably hear a 'swish' of powder inside of the empty, unused portion of the case.

Not everyone handloads, and for deer hunting, I don't think that the minimal difference in velocity from the .30-06 is significant. A wide variety of outstanding factory-loaded hunting and target rounds are available. And I like the shorter bolt throw of the .308. One thing I do know: the .308 is an accurate caliber.

But heck, I know from personal experience that both calibers kill deer just fine. And chances are, if I couldn't kill it with a .308, I wouldn't be able to with a .30-06, either. I'll have to use my .308 on elk, because by the time I buy the out-of-State license, I won't be able to afford a new rifle. Pointer, you should like us .308 guys; we've gotta be better than those wimpy 20 caliber geeks, right? :D :p

Taylorce1
I have a fondness for the 06 and its offspring.
I think a cartridge should have a purpose more important than softer recoil...
I think I'm too practical for your own good... :)

Fremmer
Because more is not always better.
'zactly

I got it! More cartridge types are not always better... :D

Pointer, you should like us .308 guys; we've gotta be better than those wimpy 20 caliber geeks, right?
I do...I do... and

'zactly

I just have trouble with calling a .22 short better (for any purpose) than a .22 LR. And 'seems t'me a 30-06 SHORT is not an improvement over the 30-06... ;)

:D :D

Last edited:
Certainly there are many effective elk hunting cartridges. The best one for you is the one you can shoot well from makeshift field rests. The best one for you is a cartridge you can can shoot affordably from time to time for practise and fun.

I'm the wrong hunter to ask about Africa. Way too spendy for me and besides, I'd have to leave the meat over there.

North American bison are very large animals but I dropped one where he stood with my .308 rifle. I shot into his skull just behind the ear and slightly lower than the ear opening from a distance of about 125 yards or so. His legs folded up and he died instantly. The prairie actually reverberated a little. Bison are heavy animals.

Years ago, I shot a moose and a couple caribou in Saskatchewon with this same rifle. My bullets did not bounce off them either!
Jack

+1 to what you are saying Jack O'C.

Like I said earlier variety in life gives us with something to talk about, just be thankful the cartridge & rifle manufactruers didn't stop when the .30-06 was discovered. If they had this discussion would never of happened. I think that every cartridge has a purpose even if it just stays a wildcat round at least it was tried.

Pointer, thanks for being such a staunch advocate of the 06 it truly is the King of Cartridges in the US. But I would still hunt anything in the States except for Great Bears with my .270 and not blink about it. For the big bad bruins I have my 338-06 or 35 Whelen. Remember the 06 started life as a "TACTICOOL" rifle as well, our idea of what the rifle is has just changed over the last 100 years.

Back