308 for Deer Hunting Light or Heavy?

I live and hunt in NY and am a big fan of the .308.
My main hunting bolt gun is an old Mossberg that likes the 150g bullets. I've done load work ups with the 150g and the 165g-168g Sierra bullets and this rifle just shoots better with the 150g better.
The M1A on the other hand seems to like the heavier bullet load better but I think my body likes me carrying the lighter rifle better when we're hiking miles a day.
The M1A is much cooler though.

If I had the money I would build an AR10 but it's just not in the card right now.

I'm with O'HEIR on the match bullet issue. Sierra specifically mentions, as does I think Speer, that their match bullets are not for use on game. The needle nosed hollow point is a result of moving the center of gravity of the slug rearward for accuracy, and not intended to enhance expansion. More later.

The Berger "hunting" match bullets are specifically designed as a hunter,and is not the same bullet as their competition slugs. Comparing the Berger (hunter) to other match bullets is not an apples to apples comparison.

Interestingly, W-W lists their factory .308/168 combo as a game load. Here is what I can say. The W-W .308/168 match is "issue" for us. We use .308 as hog rifles, as .223 was not resulting in DRT hogs that could occasionally get away or across property lines, complicating matters. Accordingly, we have shot a number of wild hogs with .308/168 on eradication actions. (not me, as hogs never show up when I go) . But I have quizzed the guys at length doing the shooting as to bullet performance. They get dead hogs, but whether the wounds look like there has been much expansion is another matter. Seems as if some expand and some do not. DRT count is way up irregardless over .223 BTW. Some of these hogs are not all that big either.

The .308 is going to kill deer with about any slug you run through it. I've had good luck with Sierra Pro hunter 150's (flat base). Affordable too. I also have a small dwindling supply of early Nosler 180 B-tips that expand way out of proportion to their weight and have been very good shooters/killers too.

I've always been intrigued with the .30/165 boat tail HP game bullet sold by Sierra, but have never bought or hunted them. With component prices like they are, I am shooting up what I have on hand.

Back