.303 British....

Actually, the actions are crude- but capable- if it's a "good one". That's the risk. Not trying to compare them to a BAT, Stiller, Defiance or a trued 700- but, they don't cost $1000 either.

The Olympic Biathlon was won by the Soviets with a MN action re-barreled with a 6.5 x 54R in 1976:

http://www.examiner.com/article/mosin-nagant-vostok-6-5x54r-olympic-winter-games-biathlon-rifle

The Finnish M28/76 Target rifle, based off the M28 (used by the world record holder for confirmed kills, Simo Hayha), is known to be very accurate. The reputation of the MN for poor accuracy is due to lousy wartime Russian barrels, terrible triggers, and a crude stock with a poor fit. Even a precision built rifle would perform poorly with the stock and trigger of a MN.

Here is a customer with a custom stock I made for him, shooting his M28/76 at 1450 yards, with Berger VLD's.

The lack of handloading is the primary reason I tried to steer him to build a trued Rem or Savage, in .308 there's match ammo, as well as a wide variety of commercial available that could be used.

Doesn't reload? Expects LR target accuracy from surplus?
Wow, he is really living in a fantasy world.

Partially correct. I've told him unequivocally that surplus is out of the question except for plinking (and who in the world is gonna dump corrosive ammo down a $500 barrel?), but even with commercial like Prvi and S&B decent results are very unlikely. Could be a capable performer at 500-600 with factory ammo, but beyond that all bets are off.

I think we have a few 1-10 .303 blanks in process that were going to be allocated for our Lee Enfield barrels. I sent an email with the length (26.25") and diameter (1.335") details just now.

Thanks, Josh.

Nice to see you here on TFL.

For those of you with milsurps (and precision rifles) in need of a fresh barrel- CBI is good to go...they have an impressive lineup of short-chambered barrels that have impressive accuracy- and price as well. Use them on my personal rifles...

Back