.303 British.........enlighten me, please.!

I can see what you say about the mags being the week point.
I purchased a second mag at Navy Arms yesterday...It was exactly the same as the one that came with gun...I will work with them to get them right.
I also bought a nice ".308 Tanker Enfield" that I just couldn't put down...The mag that came with it lokke like it was a beutifull original...much better than aftermarket mag that I bought as a second for that rifle as well.

Anyway now I have 2 Enfields , the Gibbs Quest in .303 british, and the .308 Tanker. I will now just look out for quality Original Mag's in good condition at the Gun shows.
If I enjoy shooting these perhaps a nice Ishapore 2A in full length 25" .303 will be next on my list.
Fun ain't it.
There was one in Collector's grade at Navy Arms I put aside....for $250.
perhaps I will just have to sell a kidney and go get it too....someone stop me!

Question :
As mentioned earlier I would like to set up this Quest extreme as a scout rifle.
Now i know I can get a NO gunsmith mount for a scope that fits over the rifle receiver in the position that the peep site now occupies the n forward over the rifle action of the MK4 Enfeild.
But does anyone have an idea on how to mount a long eye releif scope more forward over the barrel in true scout fashion.

WOLF

WOLF

WOLF:
Here is some trivia that may help you also.

BRITISH .303 Mk VIII Cartridge:

Introduced: 1888
Other Names: .303 Brit. Service
Savage 303
Known as .301 Savage by Britain

Type: Rimmed, Necked, CF
Length: 3.037"
Wt: 384gn
Powder: Cordite
Chg: 37.5gt
Primer: Berdan

BULLET:
Type: Jacketed pointed
Dia: .312"
Wt: 174gr
Length: 1.28"

CARTRIDGE CASE:
Length: 2.21
Head to shoulder 1.726"
Length of shoulder .1"
neck: .33"
Dia: Rim: .54"
Base: .460"
Neck: .340"
Shoulder: .401"
Thickness of rim .064"
BALLISTICS:

Muzzle Velocity: 2440 f.s.
Pressure: 44500 lb sq/in
Bullet Wt: 180gr
Ft. Lbs Energy @ Muzzle 2418

Factory Ballistics:
Bullet: MV: ME:
130gr 2789 2246
150gr 2720 2465
180gr 2540 2580
215gr 2180 2270
130gr Norma 2950 2510
175gr (Military) 2400 2237
180gr Norma 2490 2470

BRITISH .303 Mk VIII Cartridge:
Introduced: 1907
Other Names: .303 Brit. Service
Type: Rimmed, Necked, CF
Length: 3.037"
Wt: 384gn
Powder: Cordite
Chg: 37.5gt
Primer: Berdan

BULLET:
Type: Jacketed pointed
Dia: .3125"
Wt: 174gr
Length: 1.28"

CARTRIDGE CASE:
Length: 2.222
Head to shoulder 1.790"
Length of shoulder .1"
neck: .33"
Base to Shoulder: .7901"
Overall: 3.075"
Dia: Rim: .540"
Base: .460"
Neck: .340"
Shoulder: .4010"
Head: .4554
Mouth: .338"
Angle @ Neck: 16@58'

BALLISTICS:
Muzzle Velocity: 2440 f.s.
Pressure: 44500 lb sq/in
Bullet Wt: 180gr
Ft. Lbs Energy @ Muzzle 2418
Bore Dia:
Min: .303"
Max: .311"

Factory Ballistics
Bullet: MV: ME
130gr 2789 2246
150gr 2720 2465
180gr 2540 2580
215gr 2180 2270
Developed during 1887 and adopted in 1888, it was the official military cartridge of the British Commonwealth in WWI and WWII. It was replaced by the 7.62mm NATO cartridge
(308 Winchester) Originally loaded with a 215 gr round-nosed bullet encased in a cupro-nickel jacket. With 70gr of compressed black powder, it developed a muzzle velocity of 1850fps. In 1892, the propellant was changed to the then-new Cordite smokeless powder and the velocity upped to 1970fps. Around 1917 a 174 gr pointed bullet was adopted and the velocity increased to 2440fps. This was the MKVII round, still in use when the 303 was discontinued.

Bullets for the MKVII cartridge had an aluminum core, fiber-filled tip with the base of conventional lead alloy. This made the longer than normal for its weight. It also produced an un-stable projectile in flight that would tumble easily on contact, thus increasing the wounding potential. The 303 cartridge was designed for the Lee-Metford MkI magazine rifle, a turnbolt type invented by James Paris Lee, an American. In 1895, the segmental and shallow Metford-type rifling was discontinued in favor of the deeper Enfield-type. From this point, the rifle was known as the Lee-Enfield. There are many variations and types.

HJN

I purchased two mail-order magazines for my Jungle Carbine a couple of years back from Gun Parts Corp. They were original and kinda scruffed up, but they function perfectly and I have never had to make any adjustments.

------------------
Sensop

"Put the mind at center and the body will find it." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi-dan, Keishinkan-do.
(meaning: Get your mind right and the body will follow.)
Sensop's Corner

Thanks MossyRock.....

Just got off the phone with the Gunsmith out there at ASHLEY ...and he said that I could use the current mount designed for a Mauser barell....but I would have to turn down my Mk4 Enfield to the right dimensions.

He said I should wait.....and in about a couple of months they will have one for release to fit the MK4 Enfeild.

I'm paitent and this probably looks like the way to go.
The adjustable aperture looks good as well, but is kinda costly.
I won't invest in them unless the fixed 2 hole peep that Gibbs installed proves troublesome.

Thanks for the lead........WOLF

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited January 14, 2000).]

Interesting sidenote you never seem to read anywhere............the .303SMLE is the only military rifle in the world that has the capability of firing without the bolt being in FULL Battery!!! Seven years ago my son nearly died due to this fact. Repeated testing with 3 different rifles confirmed this. The SMLE is one of the very few military rifles not in my collection.

I am very sorry to here that PIERRE,

I and everyone here sincerely hope that your son did not suffer any permanent injuries.

In thinking on your post, without my rifle here to confirm or deny your claim.
I MUST AGREE with your analysis.
The enfield rifle has a rear locking bolt, and the firing pin action could be released without being fully engaged...the firing pin could travel sufficently forward to strike the primer.
There is NO trigger disengage from firing pin release if bolt is not completely in battery.

I may be missing something i know I will check it when I get home from work.
IF THIS PROVES TRUE....I MUST THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING.
I WILL THEN BE THE ONLY PERSON WHO HANDLES AND FIRES MY ENFIELDS.

There are plenty of other equally nice rifles in my collection for friends and family to try.

AGAIN ....Thankyou....and If it is not imposing too much or stepping beyond the bounds could I ask you to share a little more information on how your accident happened. And the current status of your sons health and enthusiasm for the shooting sports.

With the sincerest respect, WOLF

Back