.300 Win Mag Neck Length Problems?

OK Shooter, I'm just going to go ahead and say it: You want a 300 Winchester Magnum and from what I'm reading on this post you have the fever as bad as I did back when I wanted one:D

In the late 80's I was enamored with this cartridge. I saved and saved and finally had enough to get what I felt was the perfect hunting rifle, an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 Win Mag. At the time it was one of the few rifles that had a 26" barrel and since I was getting a magnum I wanted to squeeze every bit of velocity out of it I could. The rifle shot well with 180 grn Nosler Partitions and IMR4350 and I killed a lot of game with it. When I got into my mid 40's though I decided I did not like the punishment I was getting when I shot it and moved to a 7WSM in a little heavier rifle. In hindsight, I am still glad I got that 300 and if I had it to do all over again I think I would do it the same way.

Get the 300, it really sounds to me like you want one.

Well Allen, I think you hit the nail on the head with my yearning for the 300 win mag. I think I will get it. If I ever want another caliber, I'll buy a different barrel for the savage, but for what I want, I think the mag is the caliber I want.

John

As much as I like the 300 wm--which is a lot--I will say this, if you're not shooting for targets and/or game beyond 500 to 600 yds--then your needs would probably be better served by something else. Developing hand loads is tough to do at 100 yd ranges--it will drill almost everything in pretty tightly!

I might not be able to shoot past 300 yards for a while, but I do have plans to eventually go to Montana or some place near there for an elk hunt. Maybe in a couple of years. I just like being able to reach out further if need be. I would probably only shoot the gun twice a month, maybe 30 rounds each time. I wouldn't be shooting a ton every time, so I think the cost isn't that bad.

Thanks,

John

So 300 yards or under, maybe 30 shots a month....

You've got the worst case of magnumitis I've seen in a while.

A 308 Win with a 175gr match bullet will stay supersonic past 900 yards.

I was in your situation, but my range limit at the time was 200 yards. I sold off my 300 Win Mag. I speak from experience.

But get a magnum if you really want one.

Jimro

Better yet--get both 300 win mag and 308--I love loading up and down across both paltforms and sharing a common bullet. ; ) Can't beat a 30 cal for all around versatility.

I love the 30 caliber series of firearms and own 30/30s a few 308 a couple of 300 win mag 2 300 Rem Ultra Mag and I've been shooting and reloading them for over 11 years I find it a little strange for someone to be a expert on any of them since the only difference between all my rifles is one one man thing short or long action !!! That's it !!!! They are in general the same .308 shooting gun short action would be 30/30 and 308 long action are my magnums so in essence the bullet is th difference I don't think you can compare a 30/30 to a M24 loaded with M118LR !!!! I've yet to see a 1000 yard 30 /30 but to help you decided go to the ammo shop and line up the different ammo side by side and a visual might help because in reality a 308 is more than you need it's accurate and deadly humanly to 759 yards and ruins less meat you said you reload that means you can make a bullet that will do it !!! When calculating cost per shot don't forget to include the deteriorate value of the gun per shot the 308 give you just an example 10 000 rounds for a 1000 gun 10 cents a shot the 300 Wm give you 5000 shots for 1500 dollars 30 cents a round deterioration value my RUM gave me 2000 loads 1000 re barrel 50 cents a shot plus 1 dollar to make the 5 dollar bullet I was still ahead 3
50 a shot !!! To be honest with you I have bought them all I couldn't decide If I had to choose one 308 cause of where I live but for you I think you should own a 300 win mag and get a 308 later lol I love collecting !!!!

40faa1852e0da77e1d29428430bdaf24.jpg
405a96bd6745d41276ac58b6daf9341e.jpg
d21dc61214d4ccfee30e6e901097213c.jpg
57d1747671a9694d7ddcfac435a32002.jpg

Nobody I know of shooting .308's at 1,000 yards get over 3,000 rounds of sub MOA accuracy (that's no well conducted test group of at least 10 shots larger than 10 inches) with them.

But 10,000 rounds of barrel life in an M14 is normal for service rifles. At that number, they'll still shoot inside a yard at 1000 yards; sometimes. Off the shelf sporting rifles are not much different.

I'd like to point out that a barrel that won't shoot sub MOA at 1000, can still shoot sub MOA at 100. I've seen m24 barrels (Obermeyer 5R) go beyond 10,000 rounds and still maintain sub MOA at 100 for five shot groups with M118LR ammunition. That is NOT the norm though, generally the M24 barrels were swapped out between 8k and 10k, and we had exactly one example last to 14k before failing the accuracy test.

But these were also rifles that were not fired rapidly for long periods. When shooting 100 rounds over 12 hours per day, no point in rapid fire. Had they been competition rifles, the accuracy would have degraded much faster.

And asking "why" so many shots were fired through a bolt action rifle, you have to train every guy in the section to use every weapon in the section for scouts and snipers.

Jimro

Thanks, jimro, for a bit of reality.

It doesn't take much to compare benchrest aggregate records from 100 to 300 yards and see their sizes increase in MOA as range gets bigger.

I came to the conclusion that 100 yard realistic groups of rifle accuracy increase about 1/10th to 1/15th MOA for each 100 yards past the first one. Three reasons:

* muzzle velocity spread.

* BC spread across all fired bullets; they're not all the same due to original unbalance properties and how much more unbalanced they're made upon firing.

* subtle cross winds and atmospheric density changes in the trajectory that's always there. Note the wind speed above the line of sight is higher than in the line of sight; it varies with terrain and different points in the trajectory.

The further each 100 yard band is from the muzzle, bullets are moving slower which means each those listed above have more time to change the bullet's trajectory. Run your favorite ballistic software and compare a given bullet's 20 fps velocity, 2% BC and 1 mph drift spreads to see how much they change point of impact from some standard in each 100 yard range band in the trajectory.

Last edited:
Shooter I dont agree with post #16, the 7mm rem mag is most certainly good enough for big bears such as Grizzly, Brown bears. It's the bullet, the range, and shot placement.
And how his 7mm mag ammo more expensive then 300 win mag??? What part of the continent do you reside?

Back