300 Win Mag - 1 Bullet

Good bullets. If you want to try some, go for it. But, they're unnecessary in my opinion. Tougher than necessary, and notably more expensive that most other options that are perfectly adequate.

For other import options, I'd also be willing to use a Norma Oryx or Vulcan. I haven't used them in .300 WM, but they did very well for me in .270 Win and .30-06. I think I even already have a box of .308" 180 gr Oryx around here somewhere...

.300 Win. mag., 200 gr. Speer Hot Core almost 2900 FPS, one dead elk at 530 yards laser measured. Groups average .375 to .50" at 100 yards. Rifle's Winchester M70 and three Ruger #1's two "S"models and a "B" model. I can substitute the 200 gr. Nosler Partition with very little change in POI and groups .80 to one inch with the PT. Works for me.
Paul B.

I'm gonna split the difference, and suggest a bullet that performs well for me in the 7mm Rem Mag.
Nosler Accubond Long Range. In your case 190gr.
Won't go to little pieces at close range, and 0.301 G7 will help you out for longer shots.
Also they expand down to 1,300 fps ( as opposed to 1,800 fps with most other bullets), giving you a longer "mechanical" range.

Exvept for the big bruin part, i would have suggested a Berger bullet.

I'm running the 212 ELD-X in mine at 2860fps. So far I've had very good luck with them. Super accurate and as far as I can tell they perform just like they're supposed to (all pass thru's so I haven't recovered any). Furthest I've had anything go is straight down about 2 feet.

Any bullets to avoid for this (admittedly broad) application?
Power Points, Core-Lokts, etc. -- Basically the 'lower end' traditional cup-and-core bullets.
Plenty of them could do the job, and have done the job for plenty of people. But if we're stacking the deck in our favor, it makes sense to go with a bullet that is less likely to 'fail' in some way.

I, personally, would also avoid SSTs, Ballistic Tips, Accu-Tips, FTXs, and similar 'rapid expansion' bullets. Most of them would work. But I prefer more of a tougher, 'controlled' expansion type bullet.

cornbush said:
I'm running the 212 ELD-X in mine at 2860fps. So far I've had very good luck with them. Super accurate and as far as I can tell they perform just like they're supposed to (all pass thru's so I haven't recovered any). Furthest I've had anything go is straight down about 2 feet.
That's right. I had forgotten about those kills when I suggested I'd give the 180 or 200 gr ELD-Xs a shot.
They definitely did their job, while also delivering some serious 'smack-down'.

Personally, i'd have no issues what so ever on using a Ballistic Tip.
No ballistic tips on anything that can eat me.
Great bear charges you. You deliver a ballistic tip or two at under 25 yard range. You are in the blow the ballistic tip up like a varmint bullet velocity range. You became bear food.

For the vast majority of hunting situations inside 500 yards, I'd recommend the 180gr Barnes TTSX. Those bullets have always worked really well for me: they're accurate, penetrate well, and have devastating terminal performance on just about every species of North American big game. If you want something that will work better than the 180gr Barnes at longer ranges, then consider the Barnes 190gr LRX.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/7mm-rem-mag-vs-300-win-mag/

I’m loading a 200grn ELD-X over 73grn of RL22 set .02 off the lands and set off by a WLRM primer for my Sako 85 Finnlight. It has been impressive to say the least on deer and pigs. Closest thing I got to a big bear is some nasty 300# bo hogs and they aren’t talking much these days. Last one left a tennis ball chunk of hide laying on the ground. Hoping one will present itself for a melon shot soon.

I look at a range of weights to shoot, my rifle grouped 165’s like a shotgun, 180’s were much better and would have been acceptable. I decided to try the 200 ELD-X on a whim, loaded up a few powders and tried them out and they were good too until I shot the RL22. Heck I thought it was an anomaly until I ran the group 2X more on different days. Makes a nice neat 5 shot hole. Guess what I’m saying is find what bullets and load combo the rifle likes and go with that, shot placement combined with today’s bullets is the most important factor.

I know this is getting to be an old thread but I must add this to it: federal now offers the 180 grain trophy bonded tip as a reloading component. I actually have some backordered for experimentation in my .300 win mag at the moment. Should be best of both worlds, expanding as well at low velocity as the accubonds but with a solid shank for the last half of the bullet. Their new edge tlr 200 grain load should be even better, but is only a factory ammo option at the time.

Back