300 weatherby Newbie here need HELP

Remingtons website and the Hornady website have ballistic calculators on their site. For the app search for "ballistic calculator" you will have several to choose from. You need the ballistic coefficient for your bullet for any calculator to give you good info. If you can't find the bc for your bullet use one of the same caliber, weight, and shape. It will be close enough to get you started. Then shoot and see if it is correct.

Go to nikonhunting.com and use their Spot On program (free). Simply select one of there Nikoplex scopes and the information is good for any scope. I recommend choosing the 6 inch option, 3 inches high to 3 inches low, to allow for a little human and gun error. My experience is that their program is very accurate.

I just ran it for you. For the six inch option sight in at 100 yards at 2.33 inches high and you will be zeroed without going over 3 inches high with a 355 yard zero and 3 inches low at 300 yards.

If you choose the 8 inch option sight in at 2.96 inches high youwill be zeroed in at 285 yards and 4 inches low at 336 yards. Ok for elk.

Even if you choose the 10 inch option, good for a miss on a deer at midrange, and sight in at 3.52 inches with a 310 yard zero, you will be 5 inches low at 366 yards. So much for holding dead on out to 500 yards.

I did not adjust for your altitude,so you will shoot a hair flatter, but it will only add five yards or so.

Scorch please explain +/- 4" MaximumPoint Blank (MPB) trajectory

I ran some numbers for you using Nosler Accubond 180 gr bullets with a BC of .507

If you zero your 300 at 300 yards your bullets will be 3.3" high at 100 yards and 3.9" low at 350. About 9" low at 400 yards.

This used to be a common way to zero, but there are better ways with todays technology.

I use a scope with long range dots. With your 300 mag you simply zero the crosshairs at 200 yards, you will only be 1.2" high at 100 so you won't have to remember to aim low on the shots you are most likely to take. There are dots on the vertical post below the crosshairs. The 1st dot will be your 300 yard zero, the 2nd will be your 400 yard zero, and where the post tapers from thick to thin will be your 500 yard zero.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-2-Riflescope-P51800.aspx

On non-magmum rounds such as 30-06 you zero at 100 and each dot corresponds to 200, 300, and 400. They are very accurate and simple to use.

Two things I noticed in the original post. First-forget about that "center of mass" term since shooting a deer COM will result in a gut shot. Second: most of the non-Wby ammo is rated at lower muzzle velocity than the Wby stuff. This coupled with the barrel length of the Vanguard puts you right in the same velocity ballpark as the 300 Win Mag. The reason=many of the Wby muzzle velocity figures are produced using a 26" barrel. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the Vanguard has a 24" barrel(my 257 WBy does) which costs some speed. Cou[pled with the reduced velocity of the "aftermarket" ammo, you now have a louder, harder kicking 300 win Mag.
Not trying to poop on your parade, just stating some facts.
I've been considerably disappointed with my Vanguard 257 Wby as it doesn't show me much improvement over a 25/06 w/24" barrel while burning 15% more powder.

congrats on your weatherby vanguard. i had one in 300 win mag. at the time they wern't chambering the vanguard in weatherby calibers. check your barrel stamp to make sure it is a 300 weatherby mag and not a 300 winchester mag.

I was at the range a few months ago shooting next to a guy that had just bought a used Weatherby in 300 Win Mag. The gunshop also sold the guy a box of 300 Mag cartridges with the rifle ... 300 WIN MAG. When he told me that he had just bought a 300 Win Mag, I asked if he was ever going to reload for it and he said no ... so I asked if he would mind giving me his cases ... nice once fired for my 300 Win Mag. Well ... he touches a couple off and I take a peek over at his table and see these cases with super short necks and nice radiused shoulders and I say "Hold on partner ... that ain't a 300 Win Mag, that is a 300 Weatherby Mag!!" ... The barrel was only stamped "300 Mag" ... based on that, I am surprised to hear that they actually chamber rifles in 300 WinMag ... as it seemed like they were trying not to be redundant by stating that it was a Weatherby Mag caliber. That being said, I now feel more than justified in asking the OP to verify that the weatherby mag cartridges chamber and that the ones in the win mag box do not have shorter cases without a radius where the body meets the shoulder ... these two calibers are NOT interchangeable!!!!

Be safe out there!

Saands

Gentlemen,

I am sorry for the delay I got locked out and could not get back on. Thanks again for the information and know that I wrote it all down. I am really pumped up and cannot wait to get out. I am going to start a new post because like I said I got two free boxes of ammo, one sats 150 grain win mag and the other says 300 weahterby mag 180. I took them both out and they are both Weatherby mag too long to be win, there is little doubt this guy used the box. The question is I do not know if this is a mix of rounds or what.

I know this sounds stupid but hear me out. I weighed the rounds and they all came up 1.15OZ. I am not afraid to buy rounds but there is no way I am going to waste these and want to use them to help me zero. This part is kinda ******* me off, because I did not take the time to ask him on the spot nor do I feel he actaully knew.

If anyone can help me with this round demila they are both corlokt from remington and at 67-75 dollars a box I will not be throwing them away or just shooting them to shoot.

Again thanks for all you posted I look forward to getting a set of rounds that I know are right and getting information entered and runnind with it.

also does my sight height really matter and how do you tell. my eye relief is 3.5 on my bushnell banner 6-18x 50MM. I know the question keep coming but sure it will only help int he long run

Last edited:
FT riley might not even let you shoot it at their range.

the indoor range at camp allen virginia was ok with 30 cal ammo but only as long as it is slower than 3000 FPS. factory weatherby ammo is anywhere from 3100 to 3200 FPS and since half of your ammo came from a winchester mag box it is a fair bet to say that stuff is reloads so it could be running anything from extremely light 2500 FPS to blazing fast 3400 FPS which could punch right through the back of the range.

you may want to call ahead and see if they will allow it first and if they don't you should probably start looking for any outdoor ranges nearby.

well I know the guy had a lot of wepaons but he did not reload his own because I asked him I think it was acase of using the box because he desortyed the other, but never know

you are looking at somewhere around 500 grains.

there is so much variance in powder charges, primer weight and casing thickness that there is no way to make even an educated guess as to your bullet weight without removing it from the casing and weighing it. I would suggest taking it to a local gunstore and see if they would be willing to pull a couple and see what the weights are, the only problem with that is that unless they have a set of 300 WBY dies it will be very difficult to get the bullets back in.

dies aren't that hard to find and most LGS that have a decent reloading shelf have them but it's not really something you want to need and not have after you've just opened up 6 dollars worth of ammo and now can't put them back together.

well I know the weatherby mags are hard to get around here. I think I will have to buy off line and I think I might beable to figure out what I have now. I am really reading on all the ranges to find out where I need to shot and where the bullet should be impacting in order to get a nice kill. It appears the 3 high at 100 will be the best or even a 2.5 with the 180. Still learning

3 high at 100 is almost a 400 yard zero IIRC.

I just put my 300 on paper yesterday and placed it just under 2" at 100 to give be around 250 yard sights.

It might help you get an answer on what you have in that mystery box if you post 2 photos of each of your 2 rounds ... 2 showing the whole rounds from the side and 2 showing the head stamps. People "skilled in the art" would be able to tell a lot from the shape and construction of the bullets ... even just by the picture. For one, we would be able to see if it is even possible that they are actually the same round, hidden in two different boxes.

It would also be interesting to see measurements of the overall length of the rounds ... taken with a caliper, not a ruler ;) ... while you might not be able to tell exactly what the weight of the bullets are by the weight of the cartridge, if these are factory loads from the same company (i.e. using the same brass), then there won't be 30 grains of difference in the powder charge ... so we might be able to rule out 150's and that is what you think you have.

Do you have access to a reloading scale? Even if your scale is good for 0.01 oz, that is a tad more than 4 grains ... it would be better to have a more accurate tell on the weight of your cartridges.

Saands

Back