300 H&H Magnum (new to me)

Jake,

Why does the 30-06 pretty much top out velocity-wise with the 180 grain bullets?

Last edited:
I used H&H brass to make my 7mm STW cases--very tough stuff in my experience. My 35 whelen shooting 225 gr bullets will hang tight in trajectory and energy with my 300 wby mag out to 400 yds +/-; I'm not good enough to shoot game beyond that.

JustJake said:
With today’s modern hybrid propellants (not available back when the H&H cartridge was introduced), you can get more velocity with less pressure, so the OP’s brass will last longer with less stretching - and hence less trimming. The key is the powder choices.

Yes, powders have changed but they haven't just improved the performance of the .300 H&h. That doesn't change the fact that the .300 H&H case likes to flow. I've had the .300 H&H on my bench, and it is a cartridge that I never get very many firings before I have to trim. It's just the nature of the beast, and you always need to be cognizant of the case wall thickness ahead of the belt.

The .300 H&H is a classic cartridge and is a little obsolete in design. It doesn't mean it can't be used effectively as a hunting cartridge. It's definitely a cartridge for someone who gets more joy from the journey, with a taste for nostalgia, and a little bit of style.

Back