300 AAC Blackout Barrel Questions...

"So there's no difference in velocity and energy between 16" to 20" other than additional barrel weight?"

2400 fps vs 2491 fps.
1403 ft-lbs vs 1515 ft-lbs.

"Will the 300AAC reach out to 300 yards with enough energy to hunt with?"

Yes - energy and bullet performance is fine at 300 - but the drop at 300 is about 11 inches from a 200 yard zero - so if you want to shoot beyond 300 yards - you will have to start to do scope adjustments or holdover.

If you want to hunt long range - 308 is the way I would go.

"If so in what configuration?"

A 9 inch barrel is good for up to 300 yards for hunting based on bullet performance. A 6 inch barrel I would limit to 200 yards.

"If not what is the max effective range?"

For hunting I would say 300 yards. For military use and by M4 standards based on hit probability, it is 440 meters from a 9 inch barrel and 460 meters from a 16 inch barrel. This is because those are the ranges for which the wind drift and drop matches the M4 at its stated max effective range.

So what would you recommend in a barrel for a AR conversion?

I can get 16" to 24" in either .750 or .920 diameter at the muzzel,
with 8 - 8.5 -11 to 1 twist rates.

I'm trying to squeeze as much out of this conversion as I can.

I already have a M24.308 5R and just got a .338 WINMAG for long distance.

I have 2 AR'S that will ring steel at 600yards and I'm wanting a 300AAC BLK with all I can get from it. :eek:

Shorter is probably better for subsonics, to keep the weapon compact, especially with a suppressor attached. If you're going to shoot supersonics, extra barrel length will help velocity a bit but gains will be fairly small due to this cartridge's efficiency in shorter barrels.

The 300BO burns about the same amount of the same powder as does the 357 mag. While a 20" barrel may increase velocity slightly, I don't see that increase as putting the BO significantly ahead of what you get from a 16". Matter of fact, I'm looking at a 12" "pistol" upper because I feel that's a more appropriate barrel length for my expectations of the cartridge.

Back