30 government 06

olmontanaboy

Picked up a new (to me) old rifle,It's a Winchester model 54 in 30-06, made in 1928. I mounted a Redfield 80 WH receiver sight on it. It's a dandy, I think so anyway :)

image.jpg6_zpsmbrwv3jv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
"What kind of scope are you going to put on it?"

If you were to put a scope on it, you would have to alter the bolt handle to allow it to work. That would ruin what collector value it might have. I have one in 30WCF (30-30 Win.) that I got into rather cheaply. Stock is rather worn, checkering fairly flat and most of the bluing has gone to a dull gray patina. The bore is like a shiny new dime and it's quite accurate with an old style Redfield receiver sight. One of my favorite fun guns.
Paul B.

Sorry, but a .30-06 is USELESS without an AT LEAST 10X50mm optic on it with extended sun shade bell and giant tactical knobs on the side. You won't be able to hit anything over 50 yards without one!! :D

Seriously though, I applaud your choice in "irons only". Iron-sighted shooting is a lost art these days as almost everyone want to instantly put a magnified optic on their rifles, whatever the style or caliber, before even trying the irons out.

Good for you!

Good for you, olmontanaboy, for leavin' the "peep baby" as is. I have a U.S. Model of 1917 with a Redfield Olympic receiver sight on it, and that's exactly as it'll stay. If I have enough light, my old eyes still see a clear, sharp image down range. Nice rifle you picked up there!

Once upon a time, you could put a Noske scope on a rifle like that.
It had long enough eye relief that the ocular was JUST ahead of the bolt handle.

Yeah, scopes are great and I do use them as my old eyes ain't what they used to be, but I find the peep still work we'll enough in good light. I put a good amount of meat on the table with iron sights.

Ahhh...the 30-'06. Maybe the nearest to perfect rifle cartridge ever designed. My first center fire rifle was a Herter's J9 Mauser 98. Next was a Winchester 670. Both in 30-'06. I have had numerous '06s over the past 49 years of involvement with shooting and still own several.

Don't know the exact date but I think they were made 1921-1939? This one is in the 10,000 range. I have another #122 but it's no longer a 30-06.

standard.jpg

I don't know the DOM on this one either but it's a Colombian Mauser 98 that I rebuilt.

standard.jpg

Who says an '06 needs a bolt to be a classic?

standard.jpg

All a scope does is enhance distant along with better clarity that normal 20/20 vision can't provide. Those who say they have bad eyes see as well as anyone else when wearing their corrective vision glasses. "I need a scope because of these old eyes is an old timers excuse to justify a scopes buying to others as well as himself." :D

Last Model 54 I saw was chambered in .30-30, and I really wanted it, but holy crap was it spendy... $1,200, IIRC.

Hmmmmm, unless its a beater, that sounds like a good price to me.

Old boy in Custer SD has a nice little gun shop, with a good collection of Winchesters, 54s and pre 64 Model 70s. That's right along the prices he's asking and getting.

Or at least from me, He know's I'm a sucker for Winchesters. He also discovered I'm a Springfield fan too and got me for a couple Trapdoors, a 50-70 and 45-70.

Back